This 11-week course will give visiting and exchange students an introduction to English linguistics.
On the course you will study different approaches and theories to analysis of the English language in order to understand how we use English to communicate, including the following:
- Phonetics and phonology – a study of English speech sounds and patterns of use
- Morphology – a study of how English words are formed
- Syntax – the rules for forming phrases and clauses in English
- Semantics and pragmatics – a focus on how we use English to create meaning
- Social aspects of English language such as gender and English in the world
- How the English language works in longer stretches of spoken and written language.
The course will run from Tuesday 8 February 2022 to Tuesday 3 May 2022 (excluding 12 & 19 April) from 4:15pm to 6:05pm in The Chancellors' Building.
This course carries six credits. To be awarded credits, a minimum of 80% attendance is required.
Before signing up please make sure that the day and time of these sessions do not clash with your academic timetable by checking MyTimetable.