Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships is a UK-wide programme funded by Innovate UK, enabling businesses to improve competitiveness, productivity and performance.
Latest from Innovate UK: MKTPs
Innovate UK has introduced new Management Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (MKTPs) for improved management practice and business performance. See our brochure on the new KTP scheme and benefits to all stakeholders.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is a world-leading programme which has been running for over 40 years; continuously helping business succeed by connecting them to the UK academic resources. The University of Bath has a long and successful history of managing KTPs.
A KTP is a partnership between a business and the University of Bath. This is undertaken by a qualified person, known as the Associate, who is recruited for the project.
The business and the University jointly recruit an Associate, who is employed by the University to work at the company premises. They will gain valuable industrial experience as well as project management skills. The Associate will spend a portion of their time on personal and professional development. Around 60% of Associates are offered a permanent and full-time position by the business when the KTP is complete.
KTPs bring strategic benefits to a business, with a strong academic challenge. KTPs normally last between two and three years. You can search the KTP UK site for jobs.
The KTP team
The Knowledge Transfer Partnership KTP team in Research and Innovation Services (RIS) at the University of Bath, helps bring together academics, graduates, and businesses on strategic projects.
The KTP team provides expert and professional support for submitting the proposal. The team also oversees the management of the programme once awarded. This includes the recruitment and on-going support of the Associate and all financial administration. Regular project and quarterly management meetings take place between all partners, to discuss and manage the KTP.
Contact the KTP team for further information.
Information for academics
As an academic at the University, your expertise will be relevant to the specific programme, which works across a wide range of academic disciplines.
Your involvement includes:
- regularly visiting the organisation, on average half a day a week
- maintaining frequent contact with the Associate and the company
- supervising and mentoring the Associate
There are many benefits for academics undertaking a KTP, these include:
- solving business problems and influencing strategic development within UK industry
- developing your publication and conference portfolio
- developing an impact case study for submission to the Research Excellent Framework
- implementing your research in a commercial setting
- getting student placements, final year projects, postgraduate projects, and company contributions to teaching
- getting contributions to your K account
Information for graduates
As a graduate, or Associate, you are employed by the University of Bath and based at the company. You are encouraged to undertake the MPhil in Knowledge Transfer, which is unique to the University of Bath. In some cases you can transfer to a PhD.
There are many benefits for Associates, these include:
- earning a competitive salary
- applying and demonstrating your knowledge and skills
- being supported by a senior manager at the company
- being supported by an academic supervisor at the University
- training in an industrial environment
- securing employment and launching your career
- having a fully funded professional qualification with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- undertaking a Masters Degree in Knowledge Transfer with the possibility of transferring to a PhD
- training and personal development budget
KTP Associates roles are advertised on the University jobs website. All KTP Associate roles are advertised nationally on this site.
Information for companies
Organisations of all sizes and sectors can take part in a KTP. Applications are welcome at anytime.
You can also see other enterprising and innovating ways to collaborate with us.