Learn Arabic with the Skills Centre as a member of the public or University staff
Find out about our courses and how to enrol on the right one for you.
We offer two levels of Arabic in semester 2, Post Beginner and Lower Intermediate Part 2.
We teach Modern Standard Arabic in both courses, but some references are made to the differences between Arab dialects. If you are interested in the colloquial language spoken in Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel, come and join one of our Arabic courses where emphasis is placed on the learner’s ability to speak and listen.
This level is suitable for those who have completed the Complete Beginner course with us
Or if you can:
- give directions and instructions
- use various forms of greetings
- introduce yourself and talk about where you live
- ask people what they do for a living
- describe objects
- order things politely
Lower Intermediate Part 2
Enrol on this course if you:
- have some previous knowledge of Arabic (completed the Lower Intermediate Part 1 with us and/or have a GCSE or similar qualification).
Or if you can:
- say what your favourite colour is
- order food and drink at a restaurant and ask about prices
- express likes and dislikes
- use the addition structure in Arabic correctly
- describe and ask questions about the past (in the past tense)
The Spring Term will start on 3 February 2020 and enrolments will be open for members of the public and staff on 18 December 2019. To enrol, you should select from the appropriate link below:
Independent Language Learning
Members of the public and University staff can access independent language learning resources including films, books, and online resources to help you build your knowledge and language skills from the Language Learning Zone.