Learn Japanese with the Skills Centre as a member of the public or University staff
Find out about our courses and how to enrol on the right one for you.
We offer two levels in Japanese, Complete Beginner and Lower Intermediate Part 1. Please contact us if:
- you have passed GCSE, AS, A2, JLPT N5, N4, N3, N2 and/or N1 tests
- you are able to speak fluently (even though you are not confident at reading and writing)
- you have a Japanese family background
- you have lived in Japan in the past
You should enrol on the Complete Beginner if you have never studied Japanese before, or you just know a few words or phrases. This course is not suitable for those who have studied Japanese before.
At the end of this course, you will:
- have received an introduction to the language (pronunciation, vocabulary and basic grammar)
- be able to talk about every day topics, such as: self-introduction, family, useful phrases (greetings, when shopping and at a restaurant)
- be able to read and write simple texts in Japanese using the Japanese alphabet (Hiragana and some Kanji)
- have been introduced to some aspects of Japanese culture, traditional customs and habits in Japan
Lower Intermediate Part 1
You can enrol on this course if you:
- have completed the Post Beginner course with us, have some knowledge of Japanese and/or have a GCSE or similar qualification.
Or if you can:
- greet people, introduce yourself and ask simple questions
- talk about your daily routine
- talk about the weather
- describe people
- have a good knowledge of Japanese pronunciation
The Autumn Term will start on 05 October 2020. To enrol, you should select from the appropriate link below: