We offer four levels of 10-week Japanese courses over the whole academic year:
- Complete Beginner (Semester 1)
- Post Beginner (Semester 2)
- Lower Intermediate Part 1 (Semester 1)
- Lower Intermediate Part 2 (Semester 2).
The aim of each course is to give some knowledge of the Japanese language, so that you will be able to communicate in everyday settings using all 4 skills (Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing). Cultural elements are also explored throughout the course to create a better understanding of Japan and Japanese society.
The detailed entry guidelines and Schemes of Work for each course are available. Please contact us to find out which course is appropriate for you if you are not a complete beginner. You should also contact us if you have already completed Japanese GCSE, A-Level, IB, any level of JLPT; if you are able to speak fluently even if you are not confident in reading and writing; if Japanese is your heritage language (i.e. it is spoken within your family but is not your first language); and/or if you have lived in Japan in the past.
This course is suitable if you have never studied Japanese before, or if you know just a few words or phrases.
During the course you will:
- be introduced to the language (pronunciation, vocabulary and basic grammar)
- learn to use greetings and useful phrases
- learn to introduce yourself and family (e.g. name, nationality, age, occupation, hobbies, likes and dislikes and describing people)
- learn to use the Japanese alphabets (Hiragana) and some Kanji
- learn to understand simple written and spoken texts
- be introduced to some aspects of traditional and modern Japanese culture, society, customs and habits
Lower Intermediate Part 1
This course is suitable if you have completed the Post Beginners' Course with us, or if you are at a similar level. Alternatively, you can join this course if you are at A1 level in the CEFR, a rusty past GCSE level student or achieved IB ab initio grades 1 - 5. You are required to be able to read Hiragana and Katakana fluently.
During the Lower Intermediate Part 1 course, you will:
- learn to talk confidently about yourself and everyday topics such as: family and friends, daily routines, hobbies and interests, abilities and talents, past experiences and events, customs and habits, and future plans using some complex grammar structures
- learn how to express your thoughts and opinions
- listen to, read, write, and understand short texts, including both fiction and non-fiction
- learn how to talk about some aspects of traditional and modern culture, society, customs, and habits both in Japan and your home country.
The Autumn Term will start on 10 October 2022 and enrolments will be open for members the of public and staff on 12 September. To enrol, you should select from the appropriate link below: