Learn Japanese with the Skills Centre as a member of the public or University staff
Find out about our courses and how to enrol on the right one for you.
We offer two levels in Japanese for the Spring term, Post Beginner and Lower Intermediate Part 2. Please contact us if:
- you have passed GCSE, AS, A2, JLPT N5, N4, N3, N2 and/or N1 tests
- you are able to speak fluently (even though you are not confident at reading and writing)
- you have a Japanese family background
- you have lived in Japan in the past
You should enrol on the Post Beginner if you have completed the Complete Beginner course with Foreign Languages and/or have some knowledge of Japanese and/or:
- can greet people and talk about your nationality
- can count up to 99 (can give your age and your phone number)
- can talk about your studies and your hobbies (likes and dislikes)
- can describe your family using I and na-adjectives
Lower Intermediate Part 2
You can enrol on this course if you have some previous knowledge of Japanese (have completed a Beginner’s course and/or have a GCSE or similar qualification).
Or if you:
- have a good knowledge of Japanese pronunciation
- can greet people, introduce yourself and ask simple questions
- can talk about the weather
- know some phrases to use if you go shopping
- know how to type in Japanese
The Spring Term will start on 03 February and enrolments will be open for members of the public and staff on 18 December 2019. To enrol, you should select from the appropriate link below:
Independent Language Learning
Members of the public and University staff can access independent language learning resources including films, books, and online resources to help you build your knowledge and language skills from the Language Learning Zone.