We offer two levels in Mandarin Chinese in Semester 1, Complete Beginner and Lower Intermediate Part 1.
This level is suitable for those who have not studied Mandarin Chinese before or those who know some basic phrases.
At the end of this course you will:
- have a general understanding of the Chinese language and Chinese culture
- have learned to read pinyin
- have learned to write some simple Chinese characters by hand
- have learned to type Chinese characters using the pinyin input method
- have learned to say dates and days of the week
- have learned to introduce yourself and talk about your family, friends and pets etc
Lower Intermediate Part 1
If you have studied Mandarin Chinese before you can try this quick placement test to find out which class would suit your level best. You will need your university login details to take this test.
If you are a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese and wish to sit in the class please contact the course tutor. You can also become a PAL Leader for our Peer Assisted Learning programme.
Enrol on this course if you:
- have completed the Post-Beginner level with us and/or achieved HSK 1 and, can read and write at least 50 simple Chinese characters
Or if you:
- have some knowledge of the culture of the places where Mandarin Chinese is spoken
- can read and write pinyin with ease
- can introduce yourself and your family, including saying your nationalities, ages, birthdays, hobbies, etc.
- can order food and drinks in a restaurant
- can talk about and compare weather in different places
- know the names of different means of transport
The Autumn Term will start on 11 October 2021 and enrolments will be open for members of the public and staff on 13 September. To enrol, you should select from the appropriate link below: