We offer various course levels in Spanish, from beginner to advanced.
We teach European Spanish, but some references are made to the other forms of Spanish spoken around the world, especially to Spanish spoken in Latin America.
This level is suitable for those who have completed the complete beginner course with Foreign Languages and/or can:
- use basic structures and vocabulary to interact with others
- introduce yourself (nationalities, occupation etc)
- describe a house using demonstrative adjectives and prepositions of place
- talk about your daily routine
- use the verbs 'llamarse', 'tener', 'estar' and 'haber' in the present tense
Elementary Part 2
Enrol on this course if you have some knowledge of Spanish and/or completed the elementary part 1 course with Foreign Languages and/or:
- can count at least up to 100 and provide details about yourself (age, nationality, occupation etc)
- can understand basic classroom instructions
- can talk about your town and your family
- have a grasp of simple grammar rules (present tense, personal pronouns, adjectives etc)
- can talk about travelling (means of transport)
Intermediate Part 2
Enrol on this course if you have completed the intermediate part 1 level with Foreign Languages and/or have an AS level or equivalent in Spanish and are able to interact in Spanish in common social situations with a degree of flexibility and/or if you can:
- express opinions and engage in conversation on a number of non-abstract topics such as jobs and free time
- understand straightforward written texts on familiar topics such as travel and facts about society
- use and understand the past tenses and recognise present subjunctive
- talk about the environment
- understand news reports
Spanish Upper Intermediate
Enrol in this course if you have completed the intermediate level with Foreign Languages and/or have an A level or equivalent in Spanish. If you can already communicate in a number of less predictable situations, including some more abstract topic areas and/or:
- can navigate comfortably between a wide range of tenses and moods
- express your opinion about current issues and use the subjunctive
- can formulate hypothesis
- can write with a good level of accuracy
- can deliver a speech with reasonably good fluency and without notes
- can discuss about various topics that you can research independently
Enrol in this course if you have completed the upper intermediate level with Foreign Languages, lived in a Spanish speaking country or are at B2/C1 in the CEFR, or if you:
- have a very sound knowledge of grammar
- can express yourself reasonably fluently
- can produce extended pieces of writing
- can present an argument convincingly and take part in debates
- can analyse complex texts dealing with any topics
- can understand authentic broadcasts
If you attend this course, you will be able to practise Spanish on a weekly basis by working with complex written materials, including advanced grammar and idioms, often of an abstract nature, and engaging in a variety of speaking and listening activities.
Outside the classroom, we also share cultural events organised by Spanish associations in the UK such as the Instituto Cervantes and British Spanish Society with our students. These events offer additional opportunities for you to develop your knowledge of Spanish language and culture.
Enrolment for the Semester 2 2022/23 language courses is now closed.