Preparing and completing an SDPR: reviewers and reviewees
An overview of the University's Staff Development Performance Review (SDPR) purpose and process, as well as guidance on which forms to use.
SDPR: purpose, frequency and key steps
The Staff Development and Performance Review (SDPR) is an opportunity for staff to:
- receive feedback on their performance
- discuss and set objectives for the coming year
- explore and support their learning needs and career aspirations
When and how often to hold an SDPR
All core (not casual) staff who have completed probation are required to undertake a SDPR annually, and Heads of Department are responsible for making sure this happens through their usual management structure.
Staff normally have their first SDPR around 6 months after completing probation, allowing them to reflect on objectives and development goals set in the end of probation review, but this interval may vary to fit the business cycle of the department.
Key steps for arranging and completing an SDPR
When arranging and completing an SDPR there are 6 keys steps you should follow:
- identify which job family your department is in and whether your department is using the Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
- identify and review the relevant SDPR forms for the reviewee's grade/job family, and complete in advance where necessary
- complete your relevant training
- conduct your SDPR meeting
- complete the SDPR forms to reflect your discussions
- upload the completed and signed forms to Manager Self Service
Using the correct SDPR forms
The forms you need to use for your SDPR will vary depending on your grade, job family and whether your Department is using the Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF).
|Reviewee's grade/job family||SDPR form|
|Staff in roles at grades 1 and 2 in all job families||SDPR grades 1 and 2 self-review form, SDPR grades 1 and 2 SDPR form and SDPR grades 1 and 2 manager review form|
|Staff in grade 3 and above in job families not yet using the EBF framework (e.g. Operational, Facilities Support (OFS), and Technical and Experimental (T&E))||SDPR form|
|Staff in the Management, Specialist and Administration (MSA) job family||SDPR+ form|
|Staff in grade 3 and above in the Education and Research job family||SDPR E&R form|
All forms and guidance can be downloaded from the following SDPR forms and guidance pages:
Completing the relevant training
If you are conducting an SDPR for the first time, you must complete the reviewer training beforehand.
If you are being reviewed for the first time you are encouraged to complete the reviewee training beforehand.
Training dates are detailed on the programmes and courses webpage:
- SDPR: Conducting an effective review (for reviewers)
- SDPR: Getting the most out of your review (for reviewees)
- SDPR for Education and Research staff (for reviewers and reviewees in the Education and Research job family)
You can also self-enrol and complete the online course on Moodle called Staff Development and Performance Review (SDPR) at any time.
Uploading or viewing a completed SDPR form via MSS or ESS
Uploading an SDPR form
As a Manager you can record and upload SDPR forms for the people you directly line manage onto iTrent through Manager Self Service (MSS).
In academic departments the SDPR forms are usually logged by: - department coordinators for Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, Readers and Professors - line managers for research staff and teaching fellows
Viewing previously uploaded SDPR forms
Once your SDPR form has been uploaded to MSS you can view your own forms through Employee Self Service (ESS).
If you are a Manager and wish to see the SDPR forms for those people you line manage, you can view them via Manager Self Service (MSS).
Download instructions for uploading or viewing SDPR forms
Find out how to upload or view SDPR forms by downloading the instructions