Skip to main content

Self isolation guidance for staff

Answers to frequently asked questions around self isolation for staff in relation to Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Information for staff

I am a member of staff and have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or am required to self-isolate. What should I do?

In line with the current UK Government advice  if you have symptoms of a high temperature and / or a new, continuous cough, you should self-isolate and only contact NHS111 if your symptoms get worse or do not get better after 7 days. Please refer to this PHE guidance on staying at home and the online NHS 111 Coronavirus service.

Please see below which explains how long you should self-isolate for:

Living arrangements Standard Isolation period Symptoms in Isolation period No symptoms in isolation period Symptoms disappear after 7 days of arriving Symptoms get worse and you are unable to cope during self-isolation Symptoms don’t improve after 7 days
Live alone in a single household and experience symptoms 7 days. Advise University on day 1. N/A N/A Come out of self-isolation Call 999. Advise University when able. Contact NHS 111 for further advice. Advise University of outcome.
Live in a shared household where someone else has symptoms before you. 14 days. Advise University on day 1. Isolate for 7 days from date that your symptoms start. Advise University of expected end date. Come out of isolation after 14 days. Advise University. Come out of self-isolation. Advise University. Call 999. Advise University when able. Contact NHS 111. Advise University of outcome.
Live in a shared household2 where you have symptoms before anyone else. 7 days N/A N/A Come out of self-isolation. Call 999. Advise University when able. Contact NHS 111 for advice. Advise University of outcome.

1* - Live alone in a single household - You do not share any living facilities – kitchen, bathroom or toilet facilities with anyone else.

2* - Live in a shared household - You share either a kitchen, toilet or bathroom with other people.

You must report this to your line manager:

If you are diagnosed with COVID–19 (Coronavirus) or are starting self-isolation due to experiencing the symptoms identified above, you must inform your Head of Department (HoD) or line manager personally by telephone, as soon as possible and on the first day of your absence. This is so that you can talk through and agree the arrangements together from the options below under a. and b.

If you are unable to speak to your HoD or line manager, please email them without delay giving your contact telephone number so they can phone you back.

You should keep your HoD / line manager updated on the following:

  • The period of isolation that you have been advised to take or are following NHS guidance to take and when this runs to;
  • If your condition has got worse and / or you can no longer work from home;
  • If you are being tested for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and when this test has taken place;
  • If you have been tested, to update them when you have received your result back from the test and whether this is positive or negative for Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Options for self-isolating staff:

a. Working from home – If you are otherwise fit and well to do so and your role and IT arrangements enable you to work effectively on this basis, your HoD / line manager can agree for you to work from home.

If this option is agreed for you, you should follow the University’s guidance on working from home, which is being revised and expanded to cover the current situation. You will receive normal pay and should not be recorded as on sick leave on iTrent.

b. Unable to work from home – If you are not able to work from home, either because you are not well enough to do so or because your role or IT / technology does not allow you to, you will be classified as on sick leave and will receive paid sick pay in line with your contract. Please note that any sick leave connected to Coronavirus will not be counted in any short-term absence monitoring.

If you receive a negative test outcome or have completed the 7 days of self-isolation without symptoms, you will be expected to return to work and sick pay will cease. If you receive a test outcome that is positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19), you must remain on sick leave until after 7 days from the start of your symptoms you no longer have a high temperature or you are advised that you are fit to return by an authorised NHS practitioner. For further information please see the Government's guidance on ending self-isolation.

The University has agreed for staff to be able to self-report for up to 14 days without a medical certificate.

I am a member of staff who lives with dependents / a partner or others who are self-isolating or diagnosed with COVID–19. What should I do?

You should fully self-isolate taking actions set out in PHE guidance for self-isolation, including isolating those with and without symptoms within the home and following the guidance in the table in question 1 above.

You must follow the arrangements set out in question 1 above including contacting your HoD / line manager and confirming whether you will be able to work from home (option a) or not (option b).