Skip to main content

Temporary teaching exemption requests

How full-time and part-time academic and teaching staff can request teaching exemptions.

Temporary teaching exemption (TTE) requests

The process is now live for the 2024/25 academic year.

The deadline for academic & teaching staff to submit their TTE request forms to their Head of Department is 9 April 2024.

If you are a new member of staff or your circumstances change significantly you can still submit an exemption request.

What you'll need to complete

If you are a full-time or part-time member of academic staff (including teaching-only staff) who wishes to request an exemption from teaching during certain hours of the week, for the 2024/25 timetable, you should complete the Form 1 (updated form now available March 2024). Those who meet the above criteria and wish to request the same exemptions as last year must also complete the Form 1 as requests will not be carried forward from previous academic years.

When you have completed the form, please email it directly to your Head of Department.

If you are a part-time member of academic staff (including teaching-only staff), a staff member with a defined or pro-rated part-time hours contract or have current flexible working arrangement and you want to ensure that teaching hours are only scheduled in your defined hours, you should complete Form 2. When you have completed the form, please email it to your Head of Department.

If you do not submit an exemption, it will be assumed that you will be available for all 55 approved teaching hours in each teaching week.

All forms can be downloaded from the Temporary teaching exemption request form webpage.

To download these files, you must be connected to the University of Bath network or log in with your University username and password.

Please note: For requests for 2024/25, the TTE team, a separate team from the Timetabling team will be managing the TTE application process. All information provided on the TTE request forms will be held in the strictest confidence.

Following the completion of the assessment process through your Heads of Department, the TTE team will inform the Timetabling team of the TTEs agreed and they will schedule these into the timetables.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page