Vision for Research Staff
The University of Bath is fully committed to creating a productive, supportive and enjoyable work environment for research staff.
Vision for Research Staff working at the University of Bath
The University of Bath aims to be a leading research institution with an active research culture that fosters the highest achievements, encourages originality and innovation and enriches the student learning experience. Excellent Research staff (RS) are central to the University’s research. The University of Bath’s vision is of a highly skilled and empowered community of RS who make informed career choices, form a network and contribute to their discipline and the University community. Highly skilled and experienced RS become the research leaders of tomorrow and have the technical knowledge and expertise required to deliver internationally excellent research leading to impact. To achieve this the University of Bath will strive to ensure that RS receive the highest quality of leadership and management and appropriate resources and that:
- RS are recognised for their skills and contributions to the University community
- RS are integrated in the departmental, University and wider research community, and are connected to a broad network of fellow researchers
- RS are aware of their training needs, actively seek out and attend training opportunities offered by the University and further
- RS have knowledge of the range of future career opportunities available to them
- RS are empowered to make well-informed decisions about their future career progression from an early stage
- RS develop the skills relevant for future careers e.g. supervision, teaching, application for funding and project management
- RS apply responsible research and innovation principles as well as robust ethical principles not only to their research but to all their activities and act responsibly and ethically, which means with selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership in accordance with the Universities Code of Ethics and Research Integrity.
The Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers defines “research staff” as individuals whose primary responsibility is to conduct research and who are employed for this purpose