Gwen van der Velden
Director, Learning and Teaching Enhancement
Room: WH 5.32
- leadership, management and strategic oversight of the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Office including Academic Staff Development, Researcher Development, e-Learning, Quality and the Student Learning Experience, Maths and Statistics Helpdesk, English Language Centre and Academic Writing Support
- support to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning & Teaching) on developing and implementing the University Education Strategy and Objectives.
- more than 20 years experience in higher education: the Radboud University (Netherlands) until 1995, University of Kent until 2006 and the University of Bath since then, leading teams of academic staff developers, student learning advisors, quality officers, e-learning developers and teaching innovators.
- national roles including membership of the HEFCE/NUS initiative Steering Group for the Student Engagement Partnership Unit, Planning Executive of the Standing Conference for Academic Practice (SCAP) (since 2007), Planning group member and former chair of the Heads of Educational Development Group (since 2005), former Chair of the Learning, Teaching and Quality Network of the 1994 Group (since 2010), Jorum Steering Group (since 2011), QAA Advisory Group on Student Engagement (2012).
- international engagement, specifically with India through the British Council, including visits, workshops and presentations on e-Learning, quality management and organisational change. Leading successful British Council bid in 2012 for longer term establishment of e-Learning networking and partnerships (KEP strand).
- mentoring/coaching of education professionals and leaders in higher education.
- Dutch Bachelors equivalent for teaching in Primary Education
- Dutch Masters equivalent Education (dissertation on educational innovation in a university setting)
- several teaching qualifications under the Dutch system, details available on request.
- in progress: Doctoral in Business Administration in Higher Education Management (University of Bath).
- van der Velden,G.M., Naidoo, R., Lowe, J.A., Pimentel Botas, P.C., Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: A Study of UK Practices. Project report, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- van der Velden,G.M., Naidoo, R., Lowe, J.A., Pimentel Botas, P.C., Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: A Good Practice Guide for institutions and students' unions, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- Pimentel Botas, P.C, van der Velden, G.M., Lowe, J.A., Naidoo, R, Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: Research Findings for institutions and students' unions, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- van der Velden, G.M. (2012). ‘Institutional level student engagement and organisational cultures.’ Higher Education Quarterly 66 (3)
- van der Velden, G.M. (2012). ‘Talking about Quality: Student engagement’. Commissioned paper for QAA publication for the HE sector and wider public
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011). ‘Institutional Change and the Student Experience’. Invited keynote, Annual Senior Management Conference. Canterbury Christ Church University, Canterbury, 12 December 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011). ‘Leading Institutional Change”. Invited keynote, One day conference: Driving Internal Change - institutional approaches to digital Literacies. Heads of e-Learning Forum, University of Bath, 22 November 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011). Students at the heart of the system- student engagement vs consumerism? Invited seminar, Heads of Educational Development Group event, Aston University. Birmingham, 16 November 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. Benka, M. (2011). The Student Voice. Invited seminar, University of Plymouth, 7 November 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011). Student engagement and Learning and Teaching. Invited talk, Quality Matters, QAA national one day event, University of Nottingham, 13 September 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011). Students as Consumers. Panel member, National Union of Students Annual Conference, University of Leeds, 19 July 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011) ‘The role of the Student Voice’. Invited research debate, University of Leeds, 5 April
- van der Velden, G.M. (2011) ‘Student satisfaction and engagement’. Invited research seminar, University of Newcastle, 4 April 2011
- van der Velden, G.M. (2010) ‘The institutional dimension of Student Centred Learning’, invited panel presentation, European Student Convention, European Students’ Union (ESU), Leuven, Belgium. 15 October 2010
- van der Velden, G.M. (2010) ‘Consuming or Shaping one’s Education: the Role of the Student Voice’, conference seminar, Enhancing the Student Experience Conference, London. 11 December
- van der Velden, G.M. (2010) ‘The Student Voice’, invited keynote, Empowering Students and Staff Conference, University of Cumbria, 24 June
- van der Velden, G.M. Charonis, G. K. (2010) ‘The Student Voice’ invited research seminar, Queen Mary University London, 25 January
- van der Velden, G.M. (2009) ‘Engaging the sector: An institutional perspective on raising awareness to embedding new and emerging technologies’, invited keynote JISC conference, Next Generation Technologies in Practice, Loughborough University, 10-11 March.