Gwen van der Velden
Director, Learning and Teaching Enhancement
Room: WH 5.29
- leadership, management and strategic oversight of the Learning and Teaching Enhancement Office including Academic Staff Development, Researcher Development, e-Learning, Quality and the Student Learning Experience, Maths and Statistics Helpdesk, English Language Centre and Academic Writing Support
- support to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning & Teaching) on developing and implementing the University Education Strategy and Objectives
- national engagement in relation to L&T policy development
- more than 20 years experience in higher education: the Radboud University (Netherlands) until 1995, University of Kent until 2006 and the University of Bath since then, leading teams of academic staff developers, student learning advisors, quality officers, e-learning developers and teaching innovators.
- current national roles: Full member of the HEFCE Public Information Steering Group, invited member of the HEFCE NSS review expert panel, Planning Executive of the Standing Conference for Academic Practice (SCAP), invited member of JISC - Jorum Steering Group, Member of The Student Engagement Partnership (TSEP) steering group, invited member of Russell/QAA consultation group, Member of HE Academy Staff Transitions Advisory Group.
- recent national roles included Planning group member and Chair of the Heads of Educational Development Group (2005-2012), Chair of the Learning, Teaching and Quality Network of the 1994 Group (since 2010), QAA Advisory Group on Student Engagement (2012), Principal investigator QAA commissioned research on QA policy implementation (student engagement) (2013).
- international engagement, specifically with India through the British Council, including visits, workshops and presentations on e-Learning, quality management and organisational change. Leading successful British Council bid in 2012 for longer term establishment of e-Learning networking and partnerships (KEP strand). Reference group member of Australian nationally commissioned research on student engagement (Univ of Technology, Sydney)
- mentoring/coaching of education professionals and leaders in higher education.
- Dutch Bachelors equivalent for teaching in Primary Education
- Dutch Masters equivalent Education (dissertation on educational innovation in a university setting)
- several teaching qualifications under the Dutch system, details available on request.
- in progress: Doctoral in Business Administration in Higher Education Management (University of Bath)
- van der Velden, G.M., Naidoo, R., Lowe, J.A., Pimentel Botas, P.C., Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: A Study of UK Practices. Project report, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- van der Velden, G.M: in Owen, D, Dunne, E et al (2013) The Student Engagement Handbook: Practice in Higher Education. Chapter on Staff Perceptions of Student Engagement. Emerald Group Publishing.
- van der Velden, G.M., Naidoo, R., Lowe, J.A., Pimentel Botas, P.C., Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: A Good Practice Guide for institutions and students' unions, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- Pimentel Botas, P.C, van der Velden, G.M., Lowe, J.A., Naidoo, R, Pool, A.D. (2013) Student Engagement in Quality Management Practices: Research Findings for institutions and students' unions, commissioned by the Quality Assurance Agency, University of Bath, Bath
- van der Velden, G.M. (2012). ‘Institutional level student engagement and organisational cultures.’ Higher Education Quarterly 66 (3)
- Van der Velden, G.M. (2012). Talking about Quality: Student engagement'. Commissioned paper for QAA publication for the HE Sector and Wider public.
Selected Recent Presentations
- van der Velden G.M. (2015). Student Engagement. Invited seminar, Oxford Brookes Academic Enhancement, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, 17 March 2015
- van der Velden G.M. (2015). Improving Student Satisfaction: Experiences from the University of Bath. Invited seminar, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 9 February 2014
- van der Velden (2014). Student Engagement in Learning and Teaching Quality. Enhancing Student Experience Conference, Universities UK, London, 4 December 2014
- van der Velden G.M. (2014). Developing a distinctive student experience through student engagement. Keynote, REDU Association, Universitat Polytecnica de Catalunya, Zaragoza, Spain, 7 November 2014
- van der Velden G.M. (2014). QAA Annual Conference, Royal Holloway University, London, 26 June 2014
- van der Velden G.M. (2014). Insights for Change: Student Surveys and Satisfaction Rates. Keynote, Association of Business Schools, 3rd annual conference, Aston Business School, Birmingham 23 April 2014
- Anagnostopoulou K., van der Velden G.M, (2014). Embedding MOOCs in Higher Education. Invited seminar, University of Hyderabad, India, 17 July 2014
- van der Velden G.M., Anagnostopoulou, K (2014) Open Educational Resources. Workshop SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai, India, 14-16 July 2014
- van der Velden (2014). Student Engagement in Quality Assurance and Enhancement: Institutional and Student Body Practices. Keynote, Westminster Higher Education Forum, London 16 January 2014
- van der Velden G.M. (2013). The Student Voice, Keynote, Annual Learning and Teaching Conference, University of Leicester, Leicester, 10 June 2013
- van der Velden, G.M. (2012). Students at the heart of Higher Education: A critical evaluation of student engagement. Keynote, RAISE conference, Southampton, 13 September 2012
- van der Velden, G.M. (2012). The Student Voice. Invited seminar, Newcastle University, Newcastle, 18 October 2012
- van der Velden (2012). Student Engagement and institutional practice. Invited seminar, HEFCE, Bristol, 22 October 2012