IMC Home

students finding their way


Guidance for students

Individual Mitigating Circumstances (IMCs) are the conditions which temporarily prevent you from undertaking assessment or significantly impair your performance in assessment: as such, the measure of their severity is not about impact on you, but impact on your assessment. The IMC procedures described on this website and in the documents linked to it apply to all students registered for a Bath qualification, including those based away from the University.

IMCs are different from ongoing or long-term conditions, such as long-term illness or disability, for which you should seek support from the Disability Service.

It is in your interests, wherever possible, to supply as much evidence to support your case as you can. If you are suffering from an illness you should provide a doctor's note outlining the nature of the illness. Other circumstances should also be supported by relevant evidence. It is your responsibility to ensure that this evidence is supplied together with the IMC report form. You should also be as clear as possible about the timescales within which your assessments were affected. Your IMCs will only be taken into account for assessments specified on the form.

Key Points to Remember

IMCs and supporting medical evidence

If you claim an IMC on the grounds of a medical condition, you will need to provide written evidence from an appropriately qualified person to confirm that you have the condition you claim.

Students in Bath should note that the NHS HealthCare Centre (also known as the Walk-In-Centre) is NOT able to issue these sick notes.

HealthCare Centre staff have been advised that they must turn students away and refer them back to the University Medical Centre if they are presenting for a sick note and are registered with the Medical Centre at the University. The Medical Centre does have appointments available, as well as always operating an urgent list, and can offer sick notes retrospectively where appropriate.

Please do not go to the NHS HealthCare Centre for supporting medical evidence but come to the University Medical Centre if you are registered there. If you are registered elsewhere, please go to your own GP for medical evidence if the Medical Centre is unable to see you as a temporary resident.

Other sources of information/related links