About the Student Records & Examinations Office
The Student Records & Examinations Office is part of the Registry. Its main areas of work relate to the registration and central, computerised, records of all students at the University, for course timetabling, and for the arrangements for University examinations and graduations.
Mr James Arthur is the Senior Assistant Registar and Head of the Student Records & Examinations Office.
SREO is divided into different sections (please see our organisation chart). Please find below a summary of what each section does:
- Graduate Students, Policy & Examinations section
- Records & Ceremonies section
- Timetabling section
- Management Information section
- Arrangements for the central, co-ordinated scheduling and conduct of examinations.
- Preparation of the materials for examinations.
- Production and issuing of duplicates of certificates for graduates.
- Provision of references and official attendance documents for past students.
- Support for new postgraduate programme development.
- Ensuring the development, dissemination, monitoring and review of best practice in the academic support provided to postgraduate students.
- Managing PG studentships and liaising with the Research Councils and other major sponsors
- Organising PGR Induction
- Provision of advice on the development of University policies on postgraduate study; keeping these policies under review, and to monitoring their effectiveness.
- Servicing University Research Students Committee (URSC).
- Providing Regulatory advice and supporting the Academic Registrar in the management of appeals.
- Monitoring the provision of facilities and academic support to postgraduate research students and managing the University's processes for obtaining feedback and providing analytical reports on the results of these processes to inform the development of policy and provision.
This section is responsible for...
- Maintenance of all student records including those for research postgraduate students.
- Organisation of the registration of students and the recording of their chosen units.
- Maintenance of programme and unit data in SAMIS
- Production of undergraduate and postgraduate programme and unit catalogues and associated rule data; and co-ordination of data changes.
- Key role within the SAMIS (Student & Applicant Management Information System) team, which maintains and develops the core database system supporting student business.
- Processing of progression lists for all undergraduate and taught postgraduate students.
- Organisation of all arrangements for students and their guests for the award ceremonies.
- Processing of pass lists for graduates.
- Production of original degree certificates.
...Business Processes & System Support
- Training and support of members of staff on the use of SAMIS (Student & Applicant Management Information System) and other business processes and systems.
- Design and implementation, in close collaboration with our Computing Services (BUCS/MIS), of the systems.
- Liaison with Registry and other University staff in establishing the content of the Academic Administration Calendar.
- Preparation of the Academic Administration Calendar for publication on the University's web-site.
This section is responsible for:
- Production of the University's centrally coordinated timetable of teaching.
- Room bookings.
- Space management.
This section is responsible for:
- Major student data returns to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) and the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).
- Provision of internal student data and statistics for internal management information.
...Liaison with the Local Education Authorities (LEAs) and Student Loan Companies
- Sending information about any changes in students' circumstances.
For contact details for individual staff members please see our contacts page.