Skip to main content

Academic Transcripts

The information that is included on a University of Bath transcript and how to request one.


A transcript is a document produced by the university that details the academic attainment of each student studying a taught degree. It will show unit results for all years of study. Once a student has graduated or left the university the transcript will display study dates and award details.

Where students have left without receiving an award this will show as "no award".

An example of a student transcript can be viewed here

The transcript contains unit results for all relevant years but no detail of individual items of assessment or re-assessment marks. The transcript will not show any details of mitigation grades where they are stored in SAMIS.

Record of assessment

Although not routinely available the university can provide a record of assessment. This document contains further breakdown of the unit marks for individual items of assessment. It will show unit and assessment results for all years of study.

An example of a record of assessment can be viewed here

  • For units taken before 2009/10 no details of mitigation grades stored on SAMIS will be shown; in addition no grade description information will be displayed for any individual items of assessment. For units taken in 2009/10 and later details of mitigation grades as stored in SAMIS will be shown, along with the grade descriptions for ALL individual items of assessment.

Transcripts for current students

If you are a student in your last year of study you will receive a copy of your final transcript with your certificate when you graduate.

If you are a current and continuing student you can generate self-service copies of transcripts and the record of assessment. This can be done by logging into SAMIS.

At certain times of year (e.g. examination periods) you will be unable to access the self-service transcript facility or view your results. The dates when this will become available again are listed on the SAMIS home page prior to logging in.

Examples of the self-service documents available can be viewed below:

If you need a copy of your transcript to be sent to a third party or another institution to confirm your results, please request one via the Bath Self-Service Portal and ensure you include the email address of the third party or organisation you need it to be sent to.

Your Department or School will not produce hard copy transcripts as part of the feedback process. QA16 "Assessment, Marking and Feedback" describes the information you can expect to receive and when.

Exchange/visiting students

If you're studying at the University of Bath as an exchange/visiting student your transcript will be issued to you by International Mobility and you should contact the International Mobility team if you have any questions.

Transcripts for alumni

If you have left the University and you require a duplicate transcript, you can request this by completing our form.

You'll need to provide:

  • a scan of either your passport or driving licence (photo ID) for identification purposes

and the following information:

  • Family name
  • Family name at time of award (if different)
  • Forename
  • Date of birth
  • Student number
  • Faculty/Department/School
  • Degree programme/Award title
  • Year of graduation/Date of award/date of leaving

If you graduated before 2005, your transcript request may take longer to be produced, give the current circumstances - please email to receive further guidance.

During busy periods transcript requests may take longer than usual.

Verification of award

Alumni can also request a verification of award letter for your use. This will contain your dates of study and details of your award.

If you are an employer or other party seeking a reference or verification of a certificate or transcript you can request it via our guide Verify an award.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page