Gold Scholarship Programme
If you have an undergraduate offer to study at Bath, you might be eligible to apply for this bursary scheme worth £5,000 for each year of your studies.
About the programme
We are offering up to 50 students a year the opportunity to take part in this exciting scholarship programme.
The Gold Scholarship Programme provides a £5,000 bursary for each year of study (not including paid placement periods) to help you towards your course related costs, and includes a range of activities to help you to make the most of your Bath experience and develop your career aspirations, including:
- 50 hours of volunteering, fundraising or outreach a year
- alumni mentoring
- personal development, networking and skills training sessions
- support with placements and internships
- pastoral support networks
The £5,000 bursary is designed to help you with course costs or other living expenses. Bursaries are usually paid in three equal instalments in December, February and May.
Who is eligible
To be eligible, you must:
- in 2019 be an eligible new first year Home UK* undergraduate student
- be registered on a full-time campus based undergraduate or foundation degree course and
- have a student loans household income assessment of £25,000 or below
*Eligible UK students are those that are classed as UK (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland), as assessed for student support purposes, as determined by Student Finance England or other relevant UK student loans awarding agency and have a UK Home fees status as determined by the University.
You must also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- your home is in an area where there is a low participation of young people progressing into higher education
- your school or college performance is below average
- you are a care leaver
- you or your family receive a state means-tested benefit
- you have an Access to HE Diploma
- you are irreconcilably estranged from your parents or guardians
- you are a Young Carer
- you are a refugee or asylum seeker
- your home address is considered to be in an area of lower social mobility according to ACORN data analysis
These awards are discretionary, so even if you meet the criteria you are not guaranteed one. Some awards may be linked to specific faculties, departments or courses of study.
You can apply for both the Gold Scholarship programme and a Bath Bursary, but you will only receive one award if successful.
Find out more about what is involved and the experience of being a scholar from our student bloggers.
Watch current Gold Scholars talking about the GSP and discover what it's like to be a scholarship recipient at Bath.
Sherifat is one of our current Gold Scholars, studying Economics. Watch the film below to find out more about her journey to Bath and her experiences with the GSP.
How to apply
If you have accepted an offer of a place to study at the University for 2019 entry we will email you with details on how to apply from May onwards. Applications close on 31 August 2019.
Make sure you have given permission for your/your family's financial information, given as part of your student loans application, to be shared with the University from your student loans awarding agency. This is needed so we can assess your eligibility for our funding awards.
The University is grateful to our alumni and individual donors who support these awards.