Keeping your devices secure
Find out how to protect your personal devices from viruses and malware.
Set up a password or PIN
Usually, the first thing you should do when setting up a new device is to protect it with a password or PIN. This not only protects it from physical unauthorised access but from remote access as well. If you have not protected your device yet, please set up a strong password or PIN.
Keep your software up to date
The most important way of keeping your device safe is by making sure your Operating System and software are up to date.
- See the Government's recommendations on software updates
- Instructions from Microsoft on updating your Windows PC
- Instructions from Apple on updating your Mac
- Instructions from the Government on updating your Android or iOS device's software and applications
You should always try to keep all your applications up to date, especially your web browser
Protect your device with anti-virus software
To protect your device from most viruses and malware you need to install Anti-Virus software, for example Sophos Home.
- Find more information about computer threats from Get Safe Online
- Instructions from Microsoft on Virus protection for your Windows PC
- Instructions from Apple on Virus protection for your Mac
Turn on your device's firewall
To protect yourself from others trying to connect to your computer with malicious intent you need to make sure that your firewall is turned on at all times.