The ORAHS 2017 Conference took place in the beautiful city of Bath, from 30 July to 4 August 2017.
The 43rd annual meeting of the EURO Working Group was organised by the Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement (CHI²) of the prestigious University of Bath School of Management.
EURO is the 'Association of European Operational Research Societies' within IFORS, the 'International Federation of Operational Research Societies'. Its aim is to promote Operational Research throughout Europe.
ORAHS was formed in 1975 and is essentially a network of persons involved in the application of systematic, quantitative analysis in support of planning and management in the health services sector. The group has at present 242 members from more than 30 countries, mainly in Europe but also from overseas (USA, Canada, Brazil and other countries).
Download the conference proceedings. Academic sessions took place between Monday 31 July and Friday 4 August and consisted of a combination of plenaries, parallel streams with oral presentations, and poster sessions primarily for young researchers and those working in the health and care sector.
The Steve Gallivan Prize
During ORAHS 2017, we presented the inaugural Steve Gallivan Prize 'for most effective collaboration by an early career operational researcher with health and care professionals'.
The winner was Dr Sebastian Rachuba for the paper 'What is the required size of a Clinical Decision Unit for an Emergency Department? Insights from a knowledge transfer project'. This was joint research with Alaric Moore, Laura Custerson and Martin Pitt.
The runner up was Rudabeh Meskarian for her work 'An agent based simulation of Hepatitis C transmission and treatment' with Thomas Monks, Salim Khakoo, Leonie Grellier, Julie Parkes and Ryan Buchanan.
Honorable mention was to Jo Viana for his work 'Using a combined discrete event simulation agent based model to improve drug production at the Radium Hospital, Norway'.
A number of social activities were included in the rate of the delegate and accompanying guest packages.
- Conference Chair: Christos Vasilakis, University of Bath, UK
- Honorary Chair: Ruth Davies, Warwick Business School, UK
- Scientific Programme Chair: Martin Pitt, University of Exeter, UK
- Healthcare sector advisor: Mark Tooley, Royal United Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK
- Roberto Aringhieri, University of Turin, Italy
- Sally Brailsford, University of Southampton, UK
- John Blake, Dalhousie University, Canada
- Mike Carter, University of Toronto, Canada
- Thierry Chaussalet, University of Westminster, UK
- Leonid Churilov, Florey Institute of Neuroscience & Mental Health, Australia
- Erik Demeulemeester, KU Leuven, Belgium
- Evrim Gunes, Koc University, Turkey
- Erwin Hans, University of Twente, the Netherlands
- Paul Harper, Cardiff University, UK
- Fermin Mallor, Universidad Publica de Navarra, Spain
- Inês Marques, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
- Lerzan Ormeci, Koc University, Turkey
- Patrick Soriano, HEC Montreal, Canada
- Angela Testi, Universita' degli Studi di Genova
Local Organising Committee
- Joanna Aspin - Local Co-ordinator
- Matthew Woodward - Member
- Marianna Frangeskou - Member
- Neo Stylianou - Member