Through our Centre for Healthcare Innovation and Improvement, we are working on applied health research and consultancy projects, in partnership with local and national health and social care organisations.
We are also developing links with local government and industrial partners and are keen to explore new opportunities.
Using a mixed methods approach, we adopt a flexible and collaborative outlook to the choice and framing of research problems and to the research methods and modelling techniques used.
With the School and the University’s current activity and existing strengths in this area, the Centre is in a unique position to make a substantial and impactful contribution not only to academia but also to practice.
Here you can find summaries of some of the projects we are currently working on. We will be disseminating the aims and outputs of our research on this page, and will provide regular updates on projects.
If you have any queries, or would like to explore the options of engaging with the centre and its academics in a research or consultancy project, please contact the centre's director Professor Christos Vasilakis.
Selected current and recently completed research projects
- Supporting the setup and operation of Mass Vaccination Centres in the Southwest
- Examining the quality of scientific publications in healthcare
- Vaccine4All: fair and efficient location, routing and allocation models to support large-scale vaccination
- Improving Patient flow between Acute, Community and Social care (IPACS)
- Enabling mental health care organisations to better monitor and plan their services using process mining and simulation (a KTP project in collaboration with Mayden)
- Modelling population dynamics to support care service commissioning decisions
- Developing a versatile tool for modelling care pathway capacity in NHS organisations
- Modelling ICU capacity and access considerations during periods of intense demand
Selected past research projects
- Researchers in Residence at the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust (RUH)
- Public Sector Audit in a Period of Austerity and Reform
- Modelling the impacts of Atrial Fibrillation management on whole health and social care systems
- The Future of Social Networks in Healthcare: An Exploratory Study
- Social value creation and relational coordination in public-private collaborations