Skip to main content

Apply for a Student visa from inside the UK

Find out about the application process and the documents you need to apply for a Student visa from within the UK.

Please read all the following page carefully as it contains important information about applying for the Student visa from inside the UK.

Required documents

You need to prepare the following documents when applying from inside the UK:

Document type Details
Confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) Required for all applications. Find out more information about your CAS.
Passport Required for all applications.
Financial evidence Required if you are applying in the UK and have had a UK visa for less than 12 months, or you have had a visa for 12 months or longer but have been outside of the UK for 3 months or longer in the last 12 months. Find out more information about the financial evidence.
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate Required for certain subjects - please check your CAS or contact the Student Immigration Service to check whether you require an ATAS certificate.
Qualification certificates This may include previous academic qualifications (e.g. degree certificate or transcript). These will be listed on your CAS if required.
Proof of English language ability This may be proof of an English Language test (e.g. IELTs), a UK degree, or University assessment. If your English language has been assessed by the University, you will not need to provide evidence of English. Please check your CAS for confirmation.
Letter of Expected Successful Completion Required if listed on your CAS. Find out more about the letter of expected successful completion.
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Required it you have one. Find out more about the BRP.
Parental consent If you are under the age of 18, you need to provide the consent of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) for your application. Find out more about additional documents if you are under 18 years old.
Translations Required if any supporting documents are not in English.


If any of your documents are not in English, you must provide a translation by a professional translator. The translation must include:

  • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • translator's contact details
  • date of the translation
  • signature and full name of the translator
  • credentials of the translator

Differential evidence requirement

Some Student visa applicants do not need to provide evidence of qualifications or finances when applying for the Student visa. This exemption is called the differential evidence requirement.

This exemption only applies to specific nationalities, and the list of eligible nationalities may change regularly. To check if your nationality is included, always refer to the Immigration Rules for an up-to-date list. You can find the list under the section 'Differential evidence requirement for a Student'.

If you qualify to apply under the differential evidence requirement, you won't need to submit financial and qualification documents with your application. However, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may request this evidence during the application process. It is advisable to have evidence of your finances and qualifications ready, just in case.

Fees and the application process


You will need to pay the visa application fee and may also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of the application:

  • The application from outside the UK currently costs £490
  • The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is currently £776 per year

When to apply

The earliest you can apply from inside the UK is three months before the course start date as listed on your CAS. You must also apply before your current visa expires.

How to apply and getting support with your application

To apply for the Student visa from inside the UK, you will need to fill in, submit and pay for the application form online. After you have applied online, you may need to attend an appointment in person to provide your biometrics (finger prints and photograph).

Visa applications can be delayed if mistakes are made on the form. We therefore recommend that you use our instructions to help you fill in and complete the online application form.

If you are applying for the Student visa from inside the UK, the Student Immigration Service can help you to submit your application. We offer one hour visa extension appointments with one of our Immigration Advisers as part of our Student Visa Extension Service. This service is there to support you to complete the online application, make sure you submit the right documents, and minimise the risk of your application being refused. We can also liaise with the Home Office on your behalf if there are any issues with your application.

Please see the information on our web pages for full details of the Student Visa Extension service, including details on how to book your appointment.

Providing your biometrics

As part of the application process you will be required to give biometric information (your fingerprints and photograph). How you do this depends on your nationality and what type of passport you have.

You will either:

  • Give your biometrics at a UKVI service point
  • Use the UK Immigration: ID Check app

You will be told what you need to do when you complete the online application.

If you are required to attend a biometric appointment at a UKVI service point, you should provide your biometrics as soon as possible after submitting your visa application online to avoid delays.

After you have applied

You must remain in the UK whilst you are waiting for a decision on your application. If you travel outside the Common Travel Area before your visa application has been decided, your application will automatically be withdrawn. We do not recommend booking any travel until you have received your new visa/BRP.

Applications in the UK usually take eight weeks when using the standard service. Please be aware that it may take longer than this and the University has no control over when your application will be decided.

If you apply using the Super Priority Service, you should get a decision on your application the same day as your appointment. It then takes up to two weeks to receive your new visa if you will receive a BRP card. Please be aware that at peak times, appointment availability may be limited.

You should receive the decision on your visa application by email or letter. Please read the email or letter carefully as it will contain important information about your visa.

After your visa is granted

Electronic visa (eVisa) or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Not all students will receive a BRP when their Student visa is granted. Some students will only get an eVisa, some students will only get a BRP, and some students will get both.

We recommend that you put the University's address as your postal address on the application form. This means that if you receive a BRP card, your BRP will be sent to the University. We will let you know when we receive it so that you can come and collect it.

If your application is refused

If your visa is refused you must email for further advice.

Typical reasons for refusal are:

  • your bank documents do not clearly show there is enough money in your bank account every day, for a 28-day period
  • your financial documents do not meet Home Office requirements
  • you have not provided original qualifications or certificates listed on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • your documents are not in English

Contact us

If you have any questions about applying for the Student visa from inside the UK, please contact us by email.

On this page