Skip to main content
University of Bath

Updated information on Brexit and our support for our current EU, EEA and Swiss staff

The support we are offering current EU, EEA and Swiss staff and how they may be affected by the UK leaving the EU. Updated 9 March 2020.

The UK’s vote to leave the EU and the questions it raises

Our University is proud to welcome over 100 nationalities amongst its staff and students.

The vote to leave the EU, and its implementation clearly poses significant challenges for us as a University community. It creates uncertainty and leaves many unanswered questions.

Because of the result of the referendum, you may have important questions that need urgent answers. We will aim to answer them as soon as we have the information to do so.

There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

There will be new rules for living, working, travelling and doing business in the UK and EU from 1 January 2021.

Living and working in the UK

Indefinite Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Enter

If you already have Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter from the UK Government, you do not need to do anything to continue living and working in the UK. However, you can choose to change this status to 'settled' status by applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you get 'settled' status you should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK (instead of 2 years with Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter). You can apply for British Citizenship with Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter or 'settled' status.

Permanent Residence Document

Your Permanent Residence document will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You will be able to stay in the UK until 30 June 2021 without doing anything, however, to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 you will need to either:

EU Settlement Scheme

If you do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter and started living in the UK before 31 December 2020, you will need to either:

If successful, you will be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021, with the same access to study, benefits and public services that you enjoy now. You will be given either ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status.

You can apply for British Citizenship if you’re eligible for it after you’ve got 'settled' status under the EU Settlement Scheme. If you want to apply for Citizenship before then, you will need a Permanent Residence document.

If you want to bring close family members to the UK before 31 December 2020 (or before 31 December 2025 for spouses and civil partners of Swiss citizens), they’ll need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once they’re here. You may still be able to bring family members after 31 December 2020 but it will depend on a number of circumstances. If you cannot bring your family member under the EU Settlement Scheme, they may still be able to come here in a different way, for example on a family visa.

We have produced a full guide to the EU Settlement Scheme and how you can apply.

Citizens of Ireland

Brexit will not change the status of Irish nationals and they will not need to apply for 'pre-settled' or 'settled' status. Irish citizens are automatically deemed to hold 'settled' status in the UK, so they are not required to do anything in preparation for Brexit. However, Irish citizens can continue to apply for British Citizenship if they meet the requirements. In particular, they must not have been absent from the UK for more than 450 days in the five year period before they apply, or 90 days in the year immediately before the application.

Your pension

There is no immediate change to your pension as a result of the decision to leave the EU, however, all pension schemes are impacted by the wider economy. Therefore, the economic impact of the referendum decision may be reflected in pension scheme decisions in the future, though it is too early to say what the effect might be.

Please read the USS and LGPS websites for information. You may also receive information directly about your pension scheme, including any updates, by letter or email.

Support for our EU, EEA, Swiss and other international staff

We remain committed to being a truly international centre of excellence and want to reassure you that our international outlook has not changed.

Independent immigration advice

If you would like independent advice on your immigration situation, GOV.UK provides information on how to find an immigration adviser in your local area. These are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Interest-free loan scheme for Home Office application fees and related legal costs

The University has an Interest-Free Loan Scheme in place for employees and their dependants to help with the costs associated with Home Office application fees and related legal advice regarding securing a legal right to live and work in the UK. Our detailed guide has more information.


As a University we recognise that this will be a challenging time for many in our campus community, particularly those staff from the EU, EEA and Switzerland who may be feeling particularly vulnerable.

If you need support, please talk to your line manager or HR team or look into the range of staff counselling services on offer.

If you are aware of students who need support, please encourage them to contact Student Services on ext. 4321, 01225 383838 or or or call into one of the wellbeing drop-in sessions which are open every afternoon of the year in the Roper Student Services Centre in 4W.