Skip to main content

Tuition fee payments when repeating a year of study

How your undergraduate or postgraduate tuition fee payments and bursaries are affected if you repeat a year of your studies.


Any years of repeat or previous study at Higher Education level will effect and possibly reduce your entitlement to student funding. Please be aware that due to this regulation you may need to self-fund part or all of your course.

Students funded by Student Finance England

Tuition fees

The amount of fees you pay will depends on your attendance. The attendance confirmation dates for 2021/22 are shown below:

Dates Proportion of fees
4 October 2021 25%
10 January 2022 25%
25 April 2022 50%

If you are repeating a full academic year, then you will be charged the full amount of fees as you will be in attendance at each of the three liability points.

If you are repeating and not in attendance for the full year, then your fees will be based on your attendance at the particular liability points.

For example, if you are in attendance from mid-February until the end of the academic year, then you are only in attendance for the third liability point and your fees would be 50% of the total for the year.

Effect of previous study or further repeat years on statutory funding

The number of years you are entitled to full student funding is limited. The general rule for working out your student funding entitlement, is each student is eligible to funding for the length of their course plus one extra year.

E.g. if you are studying a 3 year course your entitlement would be 3+1= 4 years.

Repeat or previous study can affect your statutory funding entitlement in relation to Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Grants, Bursaries and Scholarships meaning that you will not be entitled to receive this funding, but does not affect supplementary grants, such as Disabled Students Allowance, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependents’ Grants and Parents’ Learning Allowance. You can still access a Maintenance Loan as long as you did not obtain a qualification equal or higher to the one that you intend to study.

If you are repeating a year or did not complete your previous course due to compelling personal reasons, such as ill health, then Student Finance England has the discretion to continue your funding and fund the year you are repeating or studying, as long as you provide evidence verifying your mitigating circumstances to Student Finance England.


Students are not eligible for bursary support during repeat years of study.

You may be able to access funding through the Discretionary Student Support Fund, this is by application only.

Please see Discretionary Student Support Fund (DSSF) for further details and application guidance.

Students funded by Student Finance Wales

Students thinking of repeating should contact Student Finance Wales as the terms and conditions are different.

Students funded by SAAS

SAAS will not pay tuition fees if a student has to repeat a period of study, unless this is due to medical or compassionate reasons. This concession is normally only available once.

Students funded by the University

If you are in receipt of funding from the University you will need to contact one of the following.

Undergraduate students

  • Undergraduate students in receipt of a scholarship or bursary award please contact the Undergraduate Funding Team.

Postgraduate students

  • Postgraduate bursary students please email the Postgraduate Bursary Team on
  • Postgraduate students in receipt of all other types of funding please contact academic department in the first instance

International and self funding Home or EU students

Tuition fees

If you are repeating a full academic year, then you will be charged the full fee for the year.

If you are repeating part of the year, you will be charged a pro rata fee depending on the number of weeks of study that you are repeating.

If you need to repeat a set number of credits in an academic year then you will be charged pro rata the level of fees due for that number of credits.


Any changes to studies may have an effect on your student visa and so you should seek advice from the Student Immigration Service.

If your query is about your tuition fee liability then contact the Student Finance Office for advice.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page