- BAE Systems
- National Grid
- OC Robotics
“My time at Rolls-Royce has opened my eyes to a world of opportunity. My technical skills have improved rapidly, as I apply what I have learned at University to my everyday work. ”
— Charles Webber,
MEng Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering,
Placement with Rolls-Royce
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 393019
All our undergraduate programmes include optional, year-long, paid placements with some of the world’s most successful companies.
During a placement you will develop your skills in a commercial environment and learn about sophisticated engineering systems.
What are the benefits?
- Use advanced equipment: Recent placement students have had access to helicopters, particle accelerators, nuclear submarines, industrial robots and supercomputers.
- Develop your skills alongside professional engineers
- Make industry contacts, which may lead to further work – or a job offer
- Improve your employment prospects
- Get paid between £15,000 and £21,000
- Take a step towards earning professional status
How do placements work?
Students decide whether to take a placement during the second year of their degree. If you take part, you will spend your third year as a paid employee of a company or research centre.
Placements last for 12 months, although they can be extended. Most employers are based in Britain.
For more information contact the Faculty placements team.
Support and guidance
Our dedicated placements team will help you look for a position and advise you about CVs and interviews. They will also stay in regular contact with you throughout the year. However, we cannot guarantee that a particular placement will be available or that you will be able to earn a particular salary; applications for placements can be very competitive.