Our research is based on teams focusing on particular research areas but with a strong culture of collaboration and mutual support.
In the 2008 RAE, 60% of our research in Pure Mathematics and Statistics and 70% of our research in Applied Mathematics was rated Internationally Leading or Excellent, placing us well within the top 10 departments in the UK.
Mathematical Sciences Research Centres:
- Centre for Mathematical Biology
- Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
- Centre for Networks and Collective Behaviour
The groups within Mathematical Sciences include:
- Algebra and Geometry
- Analysis and Differential Equations
- Mathematical Control Theory
- Industrial Applied Mathematics
- Mathematical Biology
- Numerical Analysis
- Continuum Mechanics of Solids and Fluids
Current members of the department can find more information about our research in our Research Wiki.
Independent Research Fellows
We are seeking to recruit independent research fellows of outstanding quality to our Department.
The University of Bath is one of the UK's leading research universities, regularly features in the top 10 in league tables and is the Sunday Times University of the Year 2011-2012. We ranked amongst the top 7 UK mathematics departments in the Complete University Guide since 2008, offer a dynamic intellectual environment, a collegiate mentorship programme and strong emphasis on an interdisciplinary approach to research.
Fellows joining the Department will be expected to complement and enhance our existing research areas which include Algebra, Continuum Mechanics & Waves, Control Theory, Differential Equations, Geometry, Industrial Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis, Mathematical Biology, Numerical Analysis, Probability, Statistics, Variational Problems & Elliptic PDEs.
We have substantial experience of various fellowship schemes and can provide expert help in preparing an application. If you are interested, then please get in touch with the Chairman of the Departmental Research Committee, Professor Hartmut Logemann (e-mail: H.Logemann@bath.ac.uk, tel:+44-(0)1225-386008).
If we think that you have the potential to complement and enhance our existing research areas, we will invite you to visit the Department. If you meet our high standards, then you will be mentored through the application process to external funding bodies.
The following list indicates some of the postdoctoral fellowships that we are interested in hosting at Bath. The list is not exhaustive and it is certainly worth investigating what others are available.
- EPSRC Fellowships - Postdoctoral, Early Career and Established Career Fellowships for Statistics & Applied Probability. Early Career and Established Career Fellowships for Intradisciplinary Research. Three to five years.
- Newton Fellowships (British Academy, The Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society) - Two year fellowships with possibility for follow-up funding for 10 years.
- The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Fellowships - Two-year fellowships for recent PhDs.
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships - Up to four years.
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships - Five years with possibility for an extension of three years.
- EU European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grants Scheme - Up to five years.