LGBT+ History Month is a month-long annual celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and non-binary history, including the history of LGBT+ rights and related civil rights movements.
As part of LGBT+ history month Student Support want to highlight all of the support and resources available to our LGBTQ+ student community, and our new workshops for anyone who wants to become a (better) ally. These include:
- LGBTQ+ guides
- Support groups
- Courses and workshops
- Wellbeing support
- Support to tackle harassment and discrimination
Our LGBTQ+ guides act as a resource to support our students that identify as LGBTQ+, those questioning or those that want to be an active ally, we have produced a number of simple guides to provide support and resources. These include:
- Coming out guides
- Coming out as Trans
- How to be an LGBTQ ally
- How to be a trans ally
- Support as a trans student
Courses and Workshops
NeverOK: How To Be An Ally
Is it enough not to be racist? How can we be anti-racist? LGBT+ History Month is the perfect time to check in on your allyship, delve into Black British history, and find out what to do if you witness racism.
- Tuesday 6 Feb 2024, 1.15pm - 3.15pm, includes cake. Book your place via MySkills.
- Wednesday 21 Feb 2024, 11.15am - 1.15pm, includes pizza. Book your place via MySkills.
NeverOK: How Can I Help? Bystander Intervention Training
Would you know what to do if you witnessed homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, or any other kind of discrimination or bullying?
- Thursday 15 February 2024, 2.15pm - 3.45pm, includes pizza. Book your place via MySkills.
- Wednesday 28 February 2024, 10.15am - 11.45am, includes breakfast. Book your place via MySkills.
Proudly Professional: Being yourself at work or on placement
Explore your professional identity with our empowering online workshop tailored to LGBTQ+ students who want to share their identity in the workplace or whilst on placement. Gain strategies to confidently navigate “coming out” in the workplace or during placements. Learn to integrate your identity while establishing healthy boundaries, and safeguard your wellbeing in potential challenging dialogues.
- Tuesday 20 Feb 2024, 2pm - 3.30pm. Book your place via MySkills.
NeverOK: Tote Bags Against Harassment
If you've got something to say about harassment, why not put it on a useful tote bag? Spread the message that harassment is #NeverOK through designing your own slogan tote bag.
- Thursday 29 February 2024, 2.15pm - 3.45pm, includes pizza. Book your place via MySkills.
NeverOK: A Man's World? Being an ally in the male-heavy workplace
Find out how you can best support women, as well as other underrepresented people, in your discipline.
- Monday 4 March 2024, 2.15pm - 3.45pm (online). Book your place via MySkills.
- Thursday 7 March 2024, 11.15am - 12.45pm. Book your place via MySkills.
LGBTQ+ Support & Socialise group.
LGBTQ+ Support & Socialise is a monthly support group for students who want a safe space to meet and feel more confident and comfortable with their LGBTQ+ identity and for students who are questioning or exploring their identity. The next meeting date is 6 February.
The University is committed to tackling all forms of harassment and discrimination to foster an inclusive community. If you have experienced transphobia, homophobia or biphobia, use the Support and Report tool to seek support or make a report.
Our NeverOK webpages have useful resources and training to help tackle harassment.
If you would like further support or just someone to talk to our Student Support Advice Team are always available to listen.