Skip to main content

Applying to Bath as a Refugee or an Asylum Seeker

Get help on the process to apply for support

If you have refugee, asylum seeker, Humanitarian Protection (HP) or Discretionary/Limited Leave to Remain, we can provide support before you apply to university and throughout your degree, including 18 months after graduation.

Applying to Bath as a Refugee or an Asylum Seeker

If you are a Refugee or Asylum Seeker, we will give you advice and guidance throughout the application process. We will also support you throughout your studies by providing financial assistance and year-round access to University accommodation.

If you have refugee or asylum seeker status you should answer ‘yes’ to the relevant question on your UCAS application so that we can contact you as early as possible about the support available at Bath.

The Admissions Progression Team can help with any queries about applying to Bath. If you feel that your circumstances have had an impact on your academic performance, then you may want to submit a mitigating circumstances form to be considered alongside your UCAS application.

What is a Refugee, Asylum Seeker, and other Immigration Statuses?

Refugee - a person who has successfully sought sanctuary in the UK following an asylum application. You have been given permission to stay in the UK, and granted official ‘refugee’ status. You have a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to confirm this.

Humanitarian protection (HP) – you have permission to stay in the UK for humanitarian reasons. You have a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to confirm this.

Limited leave to remain (LLR) or discretionary leave to remain (DLR) – you have been given permission to stay temporarily in the UK. You have a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to confirm this.

Ukrainian students studying in the UK – Ukrainian students studying in the UK who are granted leave under the Ukraine Family Scheme, the Homes for Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme, or the Ukraine Extension Scheme will be eligible for home fee status, if they also meet specific residency criteria. Find out more via UCAS.

If one of the above definitions applies to you, then you could apply for student finance and may be eligible to receive the University of Bath Refugee Bursary and the Bath Bursary or the Gold Scholarship Programme.

Asylum seeker – you are applying for asylum, or you are waiting for a decision. Full details on the different immigration statuses can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

If you are an undergraduate student and you have refugee status, humanitarian protection or granted leave under the Ukraine Schemes, you will be offered the same means-tested support we offer other financially vulnerable groups. This includes:

  • a guaranteed place in University accommodation for 365 days a year for the duration of your course. This includes the vacation periods and if you need to return for short periods between private housing contracts.
  • a non-repayable bursary of £1000 per academic year plus £1000 to help with start-up costs and a further £1000 on graduation (a maximum of £7,000 over a 5-year programme including a paid placement year). Terms and Conditions apply.
  • means-tested bursaries and scholarships including the Gold Scholarship programme, or the Bath Bursary or Income Related Scholarships, subject to eligibility criteria being met. One of the Gold Scholarships awarded each year will be reserved for a refugee applicant.

Please refer to the UKCISA for further details on the various categories mentioned above.

Process To apply for the Refugee Undergraduate Student Bursary

  1. Once you have been offered a ‘Firm’ or ‘Insurance’ offer for 2023/4 on an Undergraduate course at the University of Bath, complete the bursary webtask on Bath Application Tracker declaring your Refugee status and uploading evidence.
  2. The evidence can be:
    • Home Office / UK Government Letter confirming your Refugee or HP Status
    • Copy of Passport confirming your Refugee or HP Status
    • Biometric ID Card confirming your Refugee or HP stats
  3. Complete the Student Support online bursary application form.
  4. Any questions regarding the admissions process or your fee status contact:
  5. Any questions regarding completing the bursary webtask on Bath Application Tracker contact:
  6. Check your Household Income is £42,875 or below with your Student funding body and you have consented to share this information with your chosen University. Find out more about applying for household income assessments.
  7. Check you are eligible as those with Refugee or Humanitarian Protection status:
    • must be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course;
    • and must have been recognised as a refugee or granted HP by the UK Government, or be the spouse/civil partner/child of a person with that status, and have remained ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands since then. Check the Terms and Conditions

Find out more from our students with Forced Migration Lived Experience

Find out more about life at Bath from some of our Forced Migration Student Experiences to watch videos and blogs from our students and learn more about our Speak to a Student e-mentoring service to enquire about 1:1 online monitoring with a student with refugee or asylum seeking lived experience.

Book an Appointment

Imroze Sahota, Student Retention and Success Team Leader, and Joanna Newman Student Retention and Success Adviser are your key contacts within Student Support to help you with any queries you may have and direct you to the appropriate services. Imroze and Joanna will be able to provide advice and guidance before you arrive and during your studies, and ensure you are accessing all possible support at the University.

If you are registered student at the university you can book an appointment, If you would like to meet and you are an applicant please contact 01225 383838 to request a pre-entry appointment.


Key Contacts and Support

Student Retention and Success

Get in touch with the team to chat about any support you might need as a refugee or asylum seeker student.

On this page