Moving out of University accommodation
What to do before you move out of University accommodation at the end of the academic year.
Things you need to do
We will email you a departure checklist near the end of your tenancy. We will also leave a copy in your accommodation. You should complete this before you leave.
Before your leaving date
- Tell the Student Accommodation team what date you will leave the accommodation.
- Give your bank, mobile provider, etc. your new postal address. We will return all mail to sender once you leave accommodation
- Check all items listed in the room inventory are in your bedroom
- Clean the room thoroughly and remove any rubbish
- Use our charity donation banks to get rid of any belongings you no longer want or need
- Lock your bedroom door as you leave
- Remove all your belongings from communal areas - we will email you if you leave anything behind, then dispose of it after five days if not collected
- Throw away or recycle all rubbish
As you leave
- Return your key or card to the East Accommodation Centre. If the centre is closed, put the key or card in an envelope marked with your block and room number and post it through the key drop letterbox.
We may charge you if you fail to complete these tasks.
We will charge to cover cleaning costs if rooms and communal areas are not left clean and tidy. If we decide a charge is necessary, we will send you an invoice and you will have to make a payment.
Keys and cards
We charge £18 for unreturned metal keys and £4 for unreturned cards. You will also be liable for any loss of rent while the key or card is replaced.
Leaving your accommodation before the end of your contract
Find out what to do if you want to move out early, and leave your accommodation before your contract ends.
Staying in University accommodation during the summer
If you are a care leaver, you may be able to stay in student accommodation during the summer. If you would like to stay here longer, please discuss this with the Student Accommodation team before the end of the academic year.
You will be able to pay for any additional stay in the same ways you paid for your standard fees.
Fees for the extra stay will be calculated on a case-by-case basis, depending on the length of your additional stay.