Skip to main content

Recycling in University accommodation

How to recycle different materials in your University accommodation.

Recycling in a student kitchen
Recycling in a student kitchen.

Where to find your bins

You will find recycling bins in your kitchen or social space in your accommodation.

Sorting your recycling

There are six types of bins in your accommodation.

Each bin is for a different kind of waste:

  • plastics and cans
  • paper
  • cardboard
  • glass
  • food waste
  • general waste

Use the right bin for your recycling

There are labels on your bins to show which items are meant to go where.

Examples of the kind of recycling you can put in each bin include:

Plastics and cans

  • Plastic bottles
  • Soft drinks cans
  • Clear plastic packaging
  • Food trays
  • Yoghurt pots
  • Aerosols
  • Tin foil


  • Magazines
  • Newspapers
  • Used revision or lecture notes


  • Birthday cards
  • Packaging
  • Boxes
  • Juice cartons
  • Disposable coffee cups

Flatten all cardboard boxes before placing them in this bin.


  • Empty bottles of alcohol
  • Jars

Broken glass must be placed in the special bucket or bin provided in your kitchen.

Food waste

  • Leftover food
  • Peelings
  • Tea bags

Do not put food packaging in this bin.

General waste

These items cannot be recycled.

  • Black plastic
  • Soft plastic (food wrappers, clingfilm, etc.)
  • Tissues and kitchen roll

Batteries, chargers, cables and electrical items

It is illegal to put batteries, chargers, cables or anything electrical in the general waste or recycling bins in your accommodation.

If you live on campus, you can dispose of your used items, in the East or West Accommodation Centre.

If you live in the University accommodation in the city centre, you can dispose of them at the housekeeper's office in your accommodation block.

Bin collections

If you live in campus accommodation, John Wood Complex, Carpenter House or Green Park House, your bins are emptied by accommodation staff once a week, between Monday and Friday. Outside of this collection you are responsible for removing your waste to the nearest recycling compound.

If you live in postgraduate accommodation in the city, you are responsible for removing your waste to the nearest recycling compound.

See other ways you can recycle and reduce waste in your accommodation.

On this page