Skip to main content

Students with caring responsibilities

If you are a young adult carer you can find information here on additional support and financial assistance.

Young adult carers

You are classed as a young adult carer if you are a carer between the ages of 18 and 25 who looks after a relative or friend, of any age, due to:

  • disability
  • chronic or terminal illness
  • mental health problems
  • alcohol or drug addiction/dependency

If you are over 25 and have caring responsibilities or if you are unsure if you qualify as a Young Adult Carer, please get in touch with the key contact below to discuss.

What funding support is available

The University of Bath offers eligible new UK undergraduate students a non-repayable bursary of £500 per academic year.

To apply for the Young Adult Carer's Bursary:

  1. Check you are eligible by reading the terms and conditions.
  2. Complete the Young Adult Carer's Bursary application form.

Please contact us before or during your studies if you have any queries about the bursary and other support available from the University. If you are a current student you can book an appointment with us online via MySkills.

We recognise that there may be particular financial issues associated with being a young adult carer and would also encourage an application to the University Hardship Fund if you find that you are struggling with your finances.

Full-time students are generally not eligible for Carer’s Allowance from the government.

Key contact

Imroze Sahota Student Retention Team Leader, and Joanna Newman are your key contacts within Student Support to help you with any queries you may have and, if necessary, direct you to the appropriate services. Imroze or Joanna will be able to provide advice and guidance before you arrive and during your studies, and ensure you are accessing all possible support at the University.

Other resources

Find out more about life at Bath from a student who is a Young Adult Carer.

We recommend having a Carer’s assessment, provided free by your local council, to see what might make your life easier. They can also take in to consideration how your caring responsibilities change by studying at University and what alternative arrangements the cared for person requires. Contact adult social services at your local council for further information.

University and Young Adult Carers booklet

BANES Carers' Centre

KS2 Bath - a peer support group for carers of people with mental health difficulties

Carers Trust

Students with children

If you are a student with children please see our Student Parents web page.


If you have any questions, please contact us.