Skip to main content

Student Parents

Information and advice if you are a student and have children.

Expectant Parents

If you or your partner become pregnant while studying we have a web page for information and advice. We do recommend informing your Director of Studies or Lead Supervisor as soon as practically possible. This will enable them to discuss possible adjustments with you while still at university and, if required, complete a risk assessment to keep you safe throughout your pregnancy.

You may also find that you need to suspend your studies. There is further information online about suspending studies for undergraduate/postgraduate taught students and doctoral students. We recommend discussing this decision with your Director of Studies and the Student Support Advice Service. In addition, please book an individual appointment with a Student Money Advisor to ensure that you are accessing all the funding you are entitled to and to ensure that your fees are correct during any period of leave or suspension.

Breastfeeding and Baby Changing

The University campus is breastfeeding friendly but we also recognise that sometimes parents may prefer a quieter space to feed (by bottle or breast) and express.

There are a number of baby changing locations on campus, a map showing these is available to download.

Childcare, Schooling and Accommodation

Westwood Nursery is on campus. It has 48 places for children aged between six months and school age. However, please be aware that competition for places is typically very high. You may wish to explore alternative childcare options in the area. Places do occasionally become available mid year, if you require an immediate vacancy please do enquire with the nursery.

You could also look at the and Childcare UK websites for information on finding childcare.

If you are moving to the area and have school age children Bath & North East Somerset Council manages admissions to schools. The council give you all of the information you need to know to understand the different types of school which are available, find a suitable place for your child, and to guide you through the admissions process. You must have accommodation in Bath or elsewhere in the county before the council will consider your child for a place.

If you are living outside the area you can find and compare schools near you.

You can find accommodation in the private sector. For any queries around accommodation please contact Student Accommodation.

Discounted holiday activities for Student Parents

TeamBath offer school holiday academies and camps. These include sport-specific camps in hockey, badminton, netball, trampolining and athletics with qualified coaches providing a fun and progressive environment to learn new skills and attempt new activities.

Timetables and Attendance

As a student parent you will probably have additional responsibilities and may miss timetabled parts of your course due to emergencies or last minute changes to childcare. It is important to keep your tutors informed if you have to miss parts of your course so they can provide advice and guidance about catching up. Please consult your student handbook to check whether you have any mandatory attendance requirements. If you have any questions about this please contact your Director of Studies.

Timetables are normally published three weeks before the start of each semester. However your academic department may be able to provide you with provisional timetable information before this date to assist with planning childcare. Please be aware timetables can change due to unforeseen circumstances. Students are expected to be available for all study weeks and available to attend classes during all standard teaching hours. Standard teaching hours are 8.15am until 7.05pm (1.05pm finish every Wednesday for undergraduate students). If you need to request a change to part of your timetable please discuss this with your Director of Studies. You may be able to request to move to a different tutorial or seminar group, however it is unlikely that lecture timetables will be able to be changed. You might want to review teaching materials on Moodle or access Panopto recordings of lectures.

Money and Funding

If you are a full-time student with dependent children you may be able to claim additional funding.

What other funding support is available

Student parents may be entitled to additional statutory funding. This could include the Childcare Grant and Parents' Learning Allowance. We would also encourage an application to the University Hardship Fund so that we can assess if you have additional financial needs that the University may be able to support.

Entitlement to benefits

Most students are not entitled to receive benefits unless you meet specific criteria. You may be able to claim certain benefits if you are a lone parent or if your partner is a student, or you have a disability. If your child has a disability you may also be also to claim certain benefits. Being a student should not affect your children's child benefit. You may want to visit to see whether or not there are any benefits you could possibly claim.

You can also speak to Student Money Advice for generalist advice about possible benefit entitlement. For specific advice about your actual entitlement to welfare benefits please contact Jobcentre Plus. If you do claim any benefits please make sure you inform Jobcentre Plus of any changes in your financial circumstances.

Trusts and Charities

Trusts and Charities sometimes provide grants, often for students from poorer backgrounds or those who’ve achieved academic excellence. Find out more at your local library in these publications:

  • the Educational Grants Directory
  • the Charities Digest
  • the Grants Register
  • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

You can also use the Family Action and Turn2Us grant searches.

Further advice and support

Children with disabilities

If you have caring responsibilities for a child or relative/friend with a disability or long-term health condition then we recommend disclosing this to Student Support to discuss possible support. You may also be eligible for additional funding via the Young Adult Carer’s Bursary.

International students with babies born in the UK

If you are a Tier 4 visa holder you are advised to speak to a Student Immigration Adviser to discuss your baby’s immigration status. Further information is available on the UKCISA website.

Student Support Advice Service

Becoming a parent or having parental responsibilities while at university may cause you additional stress or difficulties. Student Support Advice Service give students help and advice on all welfare and wellbeing issues and are available every day throughout the year. Based within Student Support they can also refer you to other internal and external support services.

SU Advice and Support Centre

The Advice & Support Centre in the Students’ Union can guide and support you with any problems you may have during your time at Bath. They offer advice on academic issues, housing issues and some personal issues e.g. if you want to report harassment or discrimination. The advisers offer confidential, independent and non- judgemental information, advice and support.


Information for student parents from the National Union of Students (NUS).

Bath SU Mature Students Group

There is a free group for mature students and student parents at Bath to help you meet new people and make friends in a sociable and friendly atmosphere. They can also represent you to the SU and the university so encourage feedback on your experiences at Bath.

You can also speak to your Community Officer for further advice and guidance.


UCAS have information on their website for students with parenting responsibilities.


If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page