Skip to main content

Getting support if you have a disability

Find out what support is available to you and how you can access it as well as how to book an appointment with a Disability Adviser.

Two people writing at a table
Get support from us

If you have a disability, impairment, long-term health condition or specific learning difficulty, the Disability Service can provide you with confidential advice, guidance and support.

If you state in your course application that you have a disability, we will contact you as part of this process to discuss your needs.

If you have not mentioned a disability in your application, but still need help, contact the Disability Service for support at any point during your course.

What we can help with

The disability service can support you in several ways including:

  • creation of a Disability Access plan (Daps) to help support you and your study
  • exam assessment arrangements
  • referrals to other specialist teams (e.g. other Student Support teams and other professional services e.g. Accommodation, Skills or Careers)
  • access to specialist or assistive software or equipment
  • one-to-one support including specialist mentoring and specialist study skills support. This support can take place virtually or in-person where possible.

How to see a Disability Adviser

If you would like to book an appointment to discuss your requirements you can book one yourself online via MySkills. Alternatively you can call the Student Support Help Desk on 01225 383838 or email

Appointments can take place in-person, online via Microsoft Teams or via telephone.

You are also able to book appointments in-person at the Student Support Helpdesk in The Roper Centre 4 West.

Drop-in sessions

We run a virtual drop in service Monday to Friday. Each drop-in slot will be for 10 minutes and they are available to book online via MySkills from 9am on the day of the drop-in.

What to expect from a session with a Disability Adviser

We will discuss the support options that are most likely to meet your needs and agree a plan with you to help you move forward. This could include:

  • providing you with advice and guidance
  • helping you to develop a plan for how to deal with your situation
  • exploring self-help resources, such as apps, websites or books
  • helping you to seek support from a service outside the University

Disability Access Plans (DAPs) & Exam/ Assessment arrangements

The Disability Service will work with you to create a plan for how we can support you while you are a student. This support may include:

  • departmental support e.g. help to manage your assignments or support to access teaching materials
  • examination and/or assessment arrangements
  • information for your department to help them better understand the impact of your disability

We will share the plan with you so you can tell us if it suits your needs. With your consent we will share it with your Department including your personal tutor and Director of Studies.

Financial support

If you are a UK student, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). DSAs help you pay for services and resources to support your studies, like one-to-one mentoring or study skill support; or specialist software and equipment. You may be eligible for a DSA if you have a:

  • disability
  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, like dyslexia or dyspraxia

You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

DSAs aren't means-tested (based on your family's income), and you don't have to pay them back. However, you may need to pay the first £200 towards the cost of a computer as part of your DSA support. If this is likely to cause you financial hardship you can apply to the Hardship Fund for assistance.

If you are an EU or international student, you are not eligible for DSAs, but we may still be able to help. Contact the Disability Service for advice.

Diagnostic fee support

If you have a disability, including dyslexia, you may wish to apply for the cost of a diagnostic assessment before applying for the DSA. Certain criteria for the application exist.

You could be offered up to £400 towards the cost of the test, depending on your family's income.

You can find more details on the Hardship Fund pages.

If your application for diagnostic fee support is not successful as a result of the means test, then you can apply to the Hardship Fund for help with the cost.

Financial support for en-suite accommodation due to disability

Figures for 24/25 are still to be confirmed.

Financial support is available to assist students who require en-suite University accommodation due to their disability, and who wouldn’t otherwise have applied for en suite accommodation due to cost.

Qualifying students whose en-suite accommodation cost is below the calculated weekly average, will receive financial support based on the difference between the average cost of a standard room and the actual cost of their en-suite room.

Students who choose more expensive rooms should note that additional financial support is not available. Any student experiencing general hardship is able to apply to the Hardship Fund. Please note, the Hardship Fund is discretionary, so no guarantee of an award can be made.

As part of your application for student accommodation, if you have completed the additional requirements form and have indicated that you need financial assistance to help with the cost of en-suite accommodation you will receive an application form from the Accommodation Office. Please complete this form and return to

Any awards offered will be paid directly to Student Accommodation to assist towards your accommodation costs. You will not receive a payment directly into your bank account.

Your application for en-suite accommodation support will directly consider financial support outlined above and not wider costs or general financial hardship. If you feel you need wider financial support please make an application to the Hardship Fund.

For information about your eligibility for an en-suite room due to your disability please contact the Disability Service for further advice. Should you need help with your accommodation requirements please contact Student Accommodation.

For further information about the terms and conditions of this financial support package please contact Student Money Advice


If you have a disability, we offer accommodation options designed to meet your needs. This can include adjustments for wheelchair usage or extra space for special equipment.

You should discuss your requirements with the Disability Service when you apply to Bath.

Access on campus

AccessAble is a website that offers access information for our campus. This includes details for accommodation, lecture halls and other venues.

24/7 support

If you are struggling with your wellbeing and need advice, support, or just somebody to talk to, professional help is also available 24/7 from our free, confidential support line Be Well- Talk Now. Students can contact a trained adviser by phone, video call or live chat from anywhere in the world.

Please email Disability Service (contact details below) with Disability specific issues.

Emergency support

If you need to talk to somebody urgently about your, or a friend's or student's, wellbeing call one of the helplines listed in the urgent or emergency wellbeing support guide.

In cases of overdose and serious injury through self-harm you must seek immediate medical help by calling 999, even if you or the person you are with, do not/does not feel unwell. The effects of an overdose can be delayed by hours (even days) and can be fatal.

External support

There are several charities and organisations that can also provide support:

  • The Samaritans who can be contacted on 116 123
  • SHOUT offer a 24/7 text-based volunteer crisis support line - text 85258
  • Papyrus Hopeline UK is a volunteer crisis line to support young people at risk of suicide, or who are concerned about someone else’s wellbeing

Contact us

If you have any questions, please contact us.

On this page