Placement information for students
Visit our department sites for more information on taking a placement year during your studies.
Find out more
Download our brochure Industrial placements: a guide for industry (PDF).
For more information, contact our Faculty Placements Manager, Alison Ukleja:
Tel:+44 (0) 1225 383467
We run one of the largest and most established placement schemes in UK higher education with 200 students currently placed with employers and 250 seeking placements for the forthcoming academic year.
As an employer placement students offer you:
- excellent employees without long-term commitment
- an opportunity to fill a temporary vacancy or get help with a project
- a chance to raise your profile on campus among a future graduate workforce
- opportunities to develop links with the University, which may lead to joint research
- access to high quality future graduates.
Dedicated placement team
We have a dedicated team to help students and employers with the placement process. Our team provides access to students across all engineering disciplines and ensure that the right candidate is placed with the right company.
During the placement period, our team make regular contact with students and employers to gather feedback, monitor progress and ensure student wellbeing.
Your next steps
Placements typically start in June, July or August and last for 12 months.
Contact us with a job description and an advert that describes your business, area of work and the type of skills you need. We will then:
- Advertise the vacancy to the right students
- Arrange for you to give a presentation on campus and visit students and staff in the department
- Collate and send CVs and covering letters to you (or direct students to your online application)
- Arrange for an interview on campus. If you wish to interview students at your site we just ask that travel expenses be reimbursed.