MPhil and PhD programmes
The Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences offers the following six MPhil and PhD programmes:
- Politics, Languages & International Studies
- Social & Policy Sciences
In addition, and in collaboration with the South West Doctoral Training Centre (SWDTC), we also offer the following interdisciplinary PhD programmes:
- Environment Energy & Resilience
- Global Political Economy: Transformations & Policy Analysis
- Health & Wellbeing
- Security, Conflict & Justice
Each is delivered collaboratively with the University of Bristol and/or the University fo Exeter, such that all students on these programmes have second supervisors located in one of these institutions (enabling sudents to actively engage with the research environment in these institutions as well as with our own).
It is important to note that whilst not mandatory, it is increasingly common for PhD students to complete a specialist Masters in Research (MRes) or equivalent prior to commencing doctoral studies. The ESRC now requires this, and funds an MRes year as part of the "1+3" model for doctoral awards.
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (this programme has a separate application process)
- Professional Doctorate in Health
- Professional Doctorate in Policy Research and Practice
We offer a range of funding opportunities for research students.
View our how to apply section for guidance on making an application.
For further information, please contact the relevant department.
Watch our new film for guidance on how to apply for PhD in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Staff and students discuss the PhD experience at the University of Bath.