We run a highly successful industrial placements programme. Most of our undergraduates spend a year in industry after their second academic year.
For details about individual areas of expertise see our staff list.
For general enquiries contact the department office, who will forward your query to the most suitable member of staff.
The Department has extensive links with industry in activities ranging from basic research to staff secondments. We also work with a wide range of industrial sectors at a local, national and international level. The companies range across all industrial sectors and include large, medium and small organisations.
Our research groups and centres are able to undertake consultancy work in many areas with considerable resources of expertise and equipment.
We also help companies improve their performance through knowledge transfer partnerships.
Working with us
Industrial connection can involve:
- Contract research
- Part-public funded projects (e.g. via European Commission, TSB, teaching company scheme and industrial CASE projects)
- Provision of technical advice
- Design and construction of experimental apparatus
- Design and focused research projects undertaken by undergraduate and masters students
- Writing technical reports
- Running technical courses in areas of core expertise
- Expert witnesses
- Staff exchanges
- Staff secondment