Recent and active research projects
A selection of recent active research projects from members of the LifE Research Group.
- Student lived experiences of linguistic diversity in higher education. PI: Dr Hugo Santiago Sanchez (University of Bath); CoIs: Dr Lívia Rodrigues; Dr Émerson de Pietri, Dr Ana Duboc (Universidade de São Paulo); Dr Ioannis Costas Batlle, Dr Trevor Grimshaw (University of Bath). Funder: Universidade de São Paulo, R$ 16,800, 2023-2025.
- Celebrating Multlingualism and Supporting English as an Additional Language (Jan – July 2023) Dr Gail Forey (University of Bath, Engagement Grant, £3,500)
- Disciplinary Literacy and Corpus-Based Pedagogy (Jan – July 2023) Dr Gail Forey & Dr Reka R. Jablonkai (University of Bath, Impact Grant, £10,000)
- Reviewing PGwTs’ Experiences and Needs: PGwT’s Perspective, (Jan – July 2023) Dr Gail Forey (University of Bath, TDF Seed Grant, £1,000)
- From social justice talk to social justice practice through collaborative action research: A pilot study on L2 materials development. PI: Dr Darío Banegas (Edinburgh University); Co-Is: Dr Hugo Santiago Sanchez (University of Bath), Professor Melina Porto (Universidad Nacional de la Plata, Argentina), Dr Fabiana Sacchi (Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, Argentina), Dr. Gimena San Martin (Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Argentina). Funder: Spencer Foundation, USD 63,500, 2022-2024.
- Enhancing the English Medium Instruction Engineering curriculum based on industry needs and expectations in Turkey. PI: Dr. Dogan Yuksel. Co-Is: Dr. Samantha Curle, Dr. Uriel Martinez Hernandez, Alpaslan Güven, Dr. Mehmet Altay. Funder: British Council (Turkey), 2021-23.
- University lecturer strategy use to introduce and explain STEM terminology in English Medium Instruction contexts: an exploratory comparative study of China, Turkey, South Africa and Nepal. PI: Dr. Samantha Curle, Co-Is: Dr Reka R. Jablonkai, Dr Dogan Yuksel, Dr. Hou Jie, Dr. Pitambar Paudel, Jaqueline Harvey. Funder: British Council (London), 2020-23
- Validating a test of polysemous English academic words. PI: Dr Sophia Skoufaki, CoIs: Dr Bojana Petric, Dr Reka R. Jablonkai, Dr Niall Curry. Funders: TDF University of Bath; Education Strategy Fund, UoEssex, 2019-23
- Teaching in super-diverse higher education contexts: An investigation of university lecturers’ pedagogical strategies, PI: Dr Reka R. Jablonkai, funded by BAICE Seedcorn grant 2018-2019
A selection of recent publications from members of the LifE Research Group.
Dr Samantha Curle
- Curle. S., & Pun, J. (Eds. 2023). Qualitative Research Methods in English Medium Instruction for Emerging Researchers, Routledge.
- Pun, J., Curle. S., Yuksel, D. (Eds. 2022). The Use of Technology in English medium Education, Springer.
- Kaya, S., Yuksel, D., & Curle, S. (2022). The effects of Language Learning and Maths Mindsets on Academic Success in an Engineering programme in Turkey. Journal of Engineering Education.
- Ege, F., Yuksel, D., Curle, S. (2022). A corpus-based analysis of discourse strategy use by English-Medium Instruction university lecturers in Turkey. Journal of English for Academic Purposes.
- Altay, M., Curle, S., Yuksel, D. & Soruç, A. (2022). Investigating academic achievement of English medium instruction courses in Turkey. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 12(1), 117-141.
Dr Janina Iwaniec
- Dunn, K. & Iwaniec, J. (2023). English impact: An evaluation of English language capability. Uzbekistan. British Council.
- Curdt-Christiansen, X. L. & Iwaniec, J. (2022). ‘妈妈 I miss you’: Emotional Multilingual Practices in Transnational Families. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Iwaniec, J. & Wang, W. (2022). Motivations to enrol in EMI programmes in China: An exploratory study. Applied Linguistics Review.
- Dunn, K. & Iwaniec, J. (2021). Exploring the relationship between second language learning motivation and proficiency: A latent profiling approach. Studies in Second Language Acquisition.
- Iwaniec, J. & Halbach, A. (2021). Teachers’ views on their methodology and their profiles: In search of the possible reasons for the levelling effect of CLIL. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. DOI: 10.1080/01434632.2021.1946548.
Dr Reka R. Jablonkai
- Jablonkai, R. R. (2023). Affordances of Conversation Analysis for investigating EMI classroom talk. In S. Curle, & J. Pun (Eds.). Qualitative methods for English Medium Instruction (pp. 69-82). Routledge.
- Jablonkai, R. R. & Csomay, E. (Eds). (2022). The Routledge Handbook of Corpora and English Language Teaching and Learning. Routledge.
- Jablonkai, R. R. (2021). Corpus linguistic methods in EMI research: A missed opportunity? In J. Pun, & S. Curle (Eds.). Research methods in EMI (pp. 92-106). Routledge.
- Jablonkai, R. R. & Hou, J. (2021). English medium of instruction in Chinese higher education: a systematic mapping review of empirical research. Applied Linguistics Review.
- Jablonkai, R. (2020). Leveraging professional wordlists for productive vocabulary knowledge. ESP Today, 8(1), 2-24.
- Jablonkai, R. R., Forti, L., Abad Castelló, M., Salengros Iguenane, I., Schaeffer‑Lacroix, E. & Vyatkina, N. (2020). Data‑driven learning for languages other than English: the cases of French, German, Italian, and Spanish. In K. M. Frederiksen, S. Larsen, L. Bradley, & Thouësny, S. (Eds.). CALL for widening participation: short papers from EUROCALL 2020 (pp. 132-137). Research-publishing.net
Dr Hugo Santiago Sanchez
- Yang, Z. and Sanchez, H. S. (2023) Teachers’ selection and enactment of context-appropriate pedagogies: Re-conceptualising motivational strategies in the English language classroom. TESOL-EJ.
- Banegas, D. L. & Sanchez, H. S. (2023) Editorial: Social justice and language teacher education from Latin America. Teachers and Teaching.
- Gillway, M. and Sanchez, H. S. (2022). Collaborative reflexivity through feedback dialogues: Developing the research and the doctoral researcher. In S. Consoli & S. Ganassin (Eds.), Reflexivity in Applied Linguistics Research: Opportunities, Challenges and Suggestions. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Yang, Z. and Sanchez, H. S. (2021) Teachers’ pedagogical intentions while using motivational strategies. ELT Journal, 76.
- Borg, S. and Sanchez, H. S. (2020). Cognition and good language teachers. In Griffiths, C. & Tajeddin, Z. (Eds.), Lessons from Good Language Teachers, pp. 16-27. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Sanchez, H. S. and Grimshaw, T. (2020). Stimulated recall. In J. McKinley & H. Rose (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Research Methods in Applied Linguistics, pp. 312-323. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.