One of the eligibility criteria for some of our undergraduate bursaries and scholarships is that you, your partner or a parent or guardian receives a state means-tested benefit.

These benefits should be received at the time of your student loans income assessment or in the most recent tax year before you start your studies.

State means-tested benefits include:

  • Child Tax Credits (any element)
  • Working Tax Credits (any element)
  • Housing Benefits
  • Council Tax Benefits
  • Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments (not for a sibling or child)
  • Income Support or Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credits
  • Universal Credits
  • other qualifying European Union welfare benefits

You do not need to tell us about this when you apply for your course. We will ask you to provide information at a later date.

You can find more information about benefits on