This half day event is organised in collaboration with Lingnan University, Hong Kong, a key partner of the new centre, with joint keynotes and papers between Bath and key Chinese and East Asian academics.
The theme of the launch event is Asian-European Dialogues.
|12.30 to 1pm
|Welcome and introduction
|Professor Catherine Montgomery, Professor Andrea Abbas and Professor Xiao Lan Curdt Christansen
|Words of introduction
|Professor Leonard Cheng, President of Lingnan University
|Dialogue 1: Mobility and immobility Student mobility between Chinese elite universities and western elite universities
|Professor Wenqin Shen, Dr Liping Li and Professor Catherine Montgomery
|Dialogue 2: The role of the State How China has developed as a major destination for overseas students: A state-steering model?
|Dr Jack Chan and Professor Xiao Lan Curdt-Christiansen
|Discussion and questions
|2.45 to 3pm
|Dialogue 3: Knowledge transfer Changing university-industry-government networks in knowledge transfer: A comparative analysis of Shenzhen and Hong Kong
|Ms Yuyang Kang, Dr Jin Jiang and Professor Andrea Abbas
|Dialogue 4: Higher education and innovation Who’s making ‘Made in China 2025’? Self-replicating national patterns of educational backgrounds and innovation policy variation
|Dr Robyn Klingler-Vidra and Professor Wenwen
|Dialogue 5: Globalisation and the future Contesting globalisation and implications for higher education in the Asia-Pacific region: Challenges and Prospects
|Professor Ka Ho Mok and Professor Hugh Lauder
|Panel discussion and closing remarks
|Drinks reception and publications in focus with book launches of Shadows of Empire: the Anglosphere in British Politics and Education in China: Philosophy, Politics and China
|Professor Nick Pearce, Institute for Policy Research and Dr Janette Ryan
There will be opportunities for discussion and questions throughout the afternoon. The atmosphere will be dialogic and informal.
You can also download a copy of the programme.
- Professor Leonard K Cheng, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Professor Catherine Montgomery, University of Bath (UK)
- Dr Andrea Abbas, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Xiao Lan Curdt-Christiansen, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Ka Ho Mok, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Professor Jin Jiang, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Yuyang Kang, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Dr Robyn Klingler-Vidra, King’s College London (UK)
- Professor Wenqin Shen, Peking University (China)
- Professor Hugh Lauder, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Jack Chan, Sun Yat-Sen University (China)
- Professor Wen Wen, Tsinghua University (China)