Centre for Research in Education in China and East Asia launch event
Join us for this launch event that will open Asian-European dialogues around knowledge exchange, cross-cultural educational trends and methodologies.
This half day event is organised in collaboration with Lingnan University, Hong Kong, a key partner of the new centre, with joint keynotes and papers between Bath and key Chinese and East Asian academics.
The theme of the launch event is Asian-European Dialogues.
|12.30 to 1pm||Lunch|
|1pm||Welcome and introduction||Professor Catherine Montgomery, Professor Andrea Abbas and Professor Xiao Lan Curdt Christansen|
|1.15pm||Words of introduction||Professor Leonard Cheng, President of Lingnan University|
|1.30pm||Dialogue 1: Mobility and immobility Student mobility between Chinese elite universities and western elite universities||Professor Wenqin Shen, Dr Liping Li and Professor Catherine Montgomery|
|2pm||Dialogue 2: The role of the State How China has developed as a major destination for overseas students: A state-steering model?||Dr Jack Chan and Professor Xiao Lan Curdt-Christiansen|
|2.30pm||Discussion and questions|
|2.45 to 3pm||Coffee break|
|3pm||Dialogue 3: Knowledge transfer Changing university-industry-government networks in knowledge transfer: A comparative analysis of Shenzhen and Hong Kong||Ms Yuyang Kang, Dr Jin Jiang and Professor Andrea Abbas|
|3.30pm||Dialogue 4: Higher education and innovation Who’s making ‘Made in China 2025’? Self-replicating national patterns of educational backgrounds and innovation policy variation||Dr Robyn Klingler-Vidra and Professor Wenwen|
|4pm||Dialogue 5: Globalisation and the future Contesting globalisation and implications for higher education in the Asia-Pacific region: Challenges and Prospects||Professor Ka Ho Mok and Professor Hugh Lauder|
|4.30pm||Panel discussion and closing remarks|
|5pm||Drinks reception and publications in focus with book launches of Shadows of Empire: the Anglosphere in British Politics and Education in China: Philosophy, Politics and China||Professor Nick Pearce, Institute for Policy Research and Dr Janette Ryan|
There will be opportunities for discussion and questions throughout the afternoon. The atmosphere will be dialogic and informal.
You can also download a copy of the programme.
- Professor Leonard K Cheng, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Professor Catherine Montgomery, University of Bath (UK)
- Dr Andrea Abbas, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Xiao Lan Curdt-Christiansen, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Ka Ho Mok, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Professor Jin Jiang, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Yuyang Kang, Lingnan University (Hong Kong)
- Dr Robyn Klingler-Vidra, King’s College London (UK)
- Professor Wenqin Shen, Peking University (China)
- Professor Hugh Lauder, University of Bath (UK)
- Professor Jack Chan, Sun Yat-Sen University (China)
- Professor Wen Wen, Tsinghua University (China)