Skip to main content

Health, safety and wellbeing for staff

The latest information, advice and guidance on health, safety and wellbeing (including underlying health conditions)

National advice and guidance

NHS information on coronavirus  has advice on the virus and its symptoms.

Visit  for information on the number of cases and risk level in the UK, what to do if you have symptoms, and what the government is doing about the virus.

Anyone concerned about their health in relation to coronavirus should follow  PHE guidance  and contact NHS 111 if the guidance advises them to do so.

University advice and guidance

For any information on self-isolation please visit our dedicated FAQs page.

What are the symptoms?

Based on current evidence, novel coronavirus (COVID-19) presents with flu-like symptoms including a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing. The current evidence is that most cases appear to be mild.

What steps can I take to protect myself?

The NHS has published guidance on how to avoid catching and spreading coronavirus.

If you have any immediate health concerns, please contact  NHS 111.

As a member of staff, you can speak with your  HR contact or counselling support is available from the  Staff Counselling Service.

I am a member of staff with an underlying health condition (or I live with someone with an underlying health condition). What should I do?

We are very aware that members of our staff with an underlying health condition may be very concerned about the impact of Coronavirus on their health.

The  UK Government’s advice, helps to identify the most serious health conditions that may affect their risk from Coronavirus.

Reporting to your line manager / Head of Department (HoD) and working from home:  It is really important that if you have an underlying health condition (or are living with someone with one) that may affect your risk to Coronavirus, that you raise this confidentially with your line manager / HoD. They will talk with you about how you might work from home, which might include taking on some different duties if it would enable you to do so. If you are working from home while isolating in line with the above guidance you will be paid your normal pay in line with your contract. The information about your underlying health condition will be maintained confidentially. Find out the latest information about working from home here.

If not able to work from home:  If you are unable to work the University has exceptionally agreed for you to be paid Emergency Paid leave.

Taking normal precautions:  It is really important that if you have an underlying health condition (or live with someone who does) continue to take your normal precautions alongside particular actions to avoid the virus. You may wish to contact your GP or NHS 111 remotely, (whilst being aware of the guidance to only contact the NHS if absolutely necessary) and follow their advice. If you receive any further or revised advice that might be relevant to working at the University, it is really important that you inform your line manager / Head of Department of this.

I have questions about self isolation in relation to Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please visit the frequently asked questions around self isolation for staff.

I am worried about being threatened or abused or concerned for colleagues and students. What should I do?

Here at the University, we are a diverse, international community and we welcome staff, students, and visitors from across the globe. We take all allegations of bullying, harassment and discrimination very seriously. If you witness or are the subject of this behaviour you are encouraged to report it to the University using our  Report and Support Tool and in line with our Dignity & Respect Policy and Procedure, if related to the actions of members of the University community. You can also contact the police either in person (by visiting your local police station) or by phone.

I am concerned about a student’s welfare, how can I help them?

If you are concerned about the welfare of any student, please ring Student Services for guidance using the Staff Advice line 01225 384321. Students can access Wellbeing Support by calling 01225 383838 or emailing Please do not ask them to visit Student Services in person, we will arrange for support to be provided to them. Help is also available from the SU’s Advice and Support Centre.

If you require first aid assistance, please contact Security on:

  • 666 (from an internal landline)
  • 01225 383999 from a mobile

Staff Wellbeing

We have published some wellbeing tips for managing stress and anxiety during the current covid19 outbreak

Other information, advice and guidance:

  • Public Health England has published some new advice and tips on coronavirus and wellbeing.
  • Find out more about how you can access the University’s Employee Assistance or counselling services.
  • Information on faith based support considering how to deal with the global pandemic from a spiritual perspective is available here.
  • Your HRBPs and HRAs are available to provide more general advice, guidance and support on any employment issues or concerns that you may have.
  • If you have any queries about the current guidance for HoDs & Line Managers and Staff Self-isolation FAQs and Staff General FAQs around Coronavirus, we would ask that you raise them through TOPdesk, logging on and going into General Enquiries under the COVID-19 tile – so that we can keep improving our guidance.
  • Our internal coaches are continuing to operate virtually using Microsoft Teams and can help colleagues to work through the challenges of responding to this transition, such as leading virtual teams, working remotely and maintaining balance. Any member of staff can request coaching support, via the online form.
  • The wellbeing topic page has resources to help maintain health and wellbeing and we will continue to update this in line with our changing circumstances.
  • Also, here is a list of our Wellbeing Champions who can help signpost you to relevant resources and support services.