Learn Japanese with the Skills Centre if you are University of Bath student
Find out about our courses and how to enrol on the right one for you
We offer Beginner and Lower Intermediate Part 2 levels in Japanese.
Please contact us if:
- you have passed GCSE, AS, A2, JLPT N5, N4, N3, N2 and/or N1 tests
- you are able to speak fluently (even though you are not confident at reading and writing)
- you have Japanese family background
- you have lived in Japan in the past
You should enrol on the Complete Beginner if you have never studied Japanese before, or you just know a few words or phrases. This course is not suitable for those who have studied Japanese before.
At the end of this course, you will:
- have received an introduction to the language (pronunciation, vocabulary and basic grammar)
- be able to talk about every day topics, such as: self-introduction, family, useful phrases (greetings, when shopping and at a restaurant)
- be able to read and write simple texts in Japanese using the Japanese alphabet (Hiragana and some Kanji)
You should enrol on the Post Beginner if you have completed the Complete Beginner course with Foreign Languages and/or have some knowledge of Japanese and/or:
- can greet people and talk about my nationality
- can count up to 99 (can give your age and your phone number)
- can talk about my studies and my hobbies (likes and dislikes)
- can describe your family using 'I' and na-adjectives
Lower Intermediate Part 2
You can enrol on this course if you have some previous knowledge of Japanese (have completed a Beginner’s course and/or have a GCSE or similar qualification).
Or if you:
- have a good knowledge of Japanese pronunciation
- can greet people, introduce yourself and ask simple questions
- can talk about the weather
- know some phrases to use if you go shopping
- know how to type in Japanese
The Spring Term will start on 8 February 2020 and enrolments will open on 18 January. To enrol yourself on the course of your choice, please on the link below.