What is a virtual exchange?
Virtual Exchange is a short project that brings students from different parts of the world and different cultural backgrounds together online.
The exchange gives students from the University of Bath an opportunity to interact in English and the foreign language with a student from a partner university overseas and discuss a variety of topics. The sessions are not language lessons, but a chance to meet an exchange partner with similar interests and share an intercultural experience together.
You can find more information on the benefits of virtual exchanges and find out what previous participants have thought about them here:
"I really enjoyed and benefitted from my first virtual exchange experience. I noticed a real improvement in my spoken and listening Chinese by the end as well as confidence with speaking in Chinese." (Natalie Page, MRes International Development)
What virtual exchanges are running?
Virtual exchanges are currently running with the following institutions:
- France: École normale supérieure de Lyon - more information on this exchange is available here
- China: Xi’an International University (XAIU) - more information on this exchange is available here
- Jordan: Princess Sumaya University for Technology (PSUT) - more information on this exchange is available here
How can I take part?
Please contact the relevant Teaching Fellow to register your interest in the virtual exchanges:
- France: Anne-Catherine Mechler
- China: Daisy Zhu - please complete this expression of interest form
- Jordan: Khalil Estaytieh
In the email, please include a few lines about why you want to take part in the exchange and what your current level of the foreign language is.