Learn Spanish with the Skills Centre if you are a University of Bath student
Find out about our courses and how to enrol on the right one for you.
We offer various levels in Spanish, from Complete Beginner to Advanced.
This semester we are also offering something new: Bitesize and Conversational classes.
A description of each course can be found below.
We teach European Spanish, but some references are made to the other forms of Spanish spoken around the world, especially to Spanish spoken in Latin America.
This level is suitable for those who have never studied Spanish before.
At the end of this course you will:
- have had an introduction to the language (pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar)
- be confident in exchanging personal information, daily and leisure activities
- have learnt about the culture of the countries where Spanish is spoken
This level is suitable for those who have completed the Complete Beginner course with Foreign Languages and/or can:
- use basic structures and vocabulary to interact with others
- introduce yourself (nationalities, occupation etc.)
- describe a house using demonstrative adjectives and prepositions of place
- talk about your daily routine
- use the verbs llamarse, tener, estar and haber in the present tense
Elementary Part 2
Enrol on this course if you can have some notion of Spanish and/or completed the Elementary level part 1 with Foreign Languages and/or:
- can count at least up to 100 and provide details about yourself (age, nationality, occupation etc.)
- can understand basic classroom instructions
- can talk about your town and your family
- have a grasp of simple grammar rules (present tense, personal pronouns, adjectives etc.)
- can talk about travelling (means of transport)
Lower Intermediate Part 2
Enrol on this course if you have some previous knowledge of Spanish (completed the Beginner’s course with Foreign Languages and/or have a GCSE or similar qualification) and/or can:
- ask and answer questions
- describe what you do in your free time
- express preferences and opinions (verb gustar)
- use the preterite and present perfect and contrast the two
- understand news articles adapted for this level
Intermediate Part 2
Enrol on this course if you have completed the Intermediate Part 1 level with Foreign Languages and/or have an AS level or equivalent in Spanish and are able to interact in Spanish in common social situations with a degree of flexibility
and/or if you can:
- express opinions and engage in conversation on a number of non-abstract topics such as jobs and free time
- understand straightforward written texts on familiar topics such as travel and facts about society
- use and understand the past tenses and recognise Present Subjunctive
- talk about the environment
- understand news reports
Upper Intermediate Part 2
Enrol in this course if you have completed the Intermediate level with Foreign Languages and/or have an A level or equivalent in Spanish. If you can already communicate in a number of less predictable situations, including some more abstract topic areas and/or:
- can navigate comfortably between a wide range of tenses and moods
- express your opinion about current issues and use the subjunctive
- can formulate hypothesis
- can write with a good level of accuracy
- can deliver a speech with reasonably good fluency and without notes
- can discuss about various topics that you can research independently
Advanced Part 2
Enrol in this course if you:
- have completed the Upper Intermediate level with Foreign Languages, lived in a Spanish speaking country or are at B2/C1 in the CEFR
Or if you:
- have a very sound knowledge of grammar
- can express yourself reasonably fluently
- can produce extended pieces of writing
- can present an argument convincingly and take part in debates
- can analyse complex texts dealing with any topics
- can understand authentic broadcasts
If you attend this course, you will be able to practise Spanish on a weekly basis by working with complex written materials, including advanced grammar and idioms, often of an abstract nature, and engaging in a variety of speaking and listening activities.
Bitesize & Conversational Classes
A short course to give you an introduction to Spanish. This course is ideal for you if you are an absolute beginner. You will learn some useful phrases and enjoy the beauty of this language.
An opportunity for you to speak Spanish and practise your language skills. This class is ideal if you are already quite good at Spanish, ideally B1+ CEFR (intermediate/post-intermediate level).
The Spring Term will start on 8 February 2020 and enrolments will open on 18 January. To enrol yourself on the course of your choice, please on the link below.