SDPR: Getting the most out of your review
A course for all staff to help you get the most out of your Staff Development and Performance Review (SDPR).
When this course runs
Date(s) and time:
- Wednesday 10 April 2019, 2.00pm - 3.30pm
- Tuesday 14 May 2019, 2.00pm - 3.30pm
To book/cancel your place - please see the instructions below for using Employee Self Service (ESS)
Presenter(s): Lisa Hegan, HRd Bristol
2018/19 courses: This course is likely to run in September, October, April, May and June. Course dates will be published approximately 6 to 8 weeks beforehand.
About this course
This workshop aims to help those who are being reviewed for the first time to understand their role in this 2 way process. During the course delegates will have the opportunity to consider the objectives and benefits of performance review; explore the process and consider what they might wish to do in preparation for their review meeting. The course will cover:
- the principles of a review meeting (considering the past, present and future)
- preparing for the review meeting
- setting SMART objectives
Intended learning outcomes
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- approach the annual review with greater confidence
- explain why performance and development reviews are carried out
- describe the principles of a review meeting
- describe how you will prepare for your review meeting
- explain the reason for SMART targets
Before attending this course you will need to:
- think about a key task/project which you have completed since your last performance review (the task must have already been completed/had an outcome)
- familiarise yourself with the relevant SDPR forms for your grade and job family and the related guidance.
We also recommend that you complete the online ‘Staff Development & Performance Review (SDPR)’ module on Moodle (accessed via self-enrolment) prior to being reviewed for the first time.
Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF)
The Effective Behaviours Framework (EBF) has nine key behavioural areas. This course will help you to develop skills and knowledge related to the EBF behavioural groups highlighted below:
- Achieving results
- Managing self and personal skills
- Developing self and others
Please note that attending the course does not provide evidence of achieving these behaviours; you will need to demonstrate them by applying your skills and knowledge.
Who should attend this course
This course is suitable for staff who:
- are about to be reviewed
- would like a refresher
- have previously found review meetings difficult to prepare for and attend
Book or cancel your place using ESS
Discussing your learning and development with your line manager
We assume that if you need permission or agreement to attend this course you will have arranged this before booking, and have also jointly discussed the following with your line manager to ensure that the training is suitable and your learning can be transferred back to the workplace:
- how this training will help to deliver your individual/team goals
- the expected outcomes (i.e. what is expected to change/improve as a result)
- any support required post-course to enable you to transfer your learning back to the workplace
Book a place
You must book a place in advance to attend this course – you can book your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please note that we do not hold a waiting list for this course.
Cancel your place
You can cancel your place using Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Please cancel your place as early as possible, and at least 3 days in advance, to allow others to book instead.
Online learning and resources
Access online tools and support on-demand via the Development Toolkit, such as: