University of Bath

Student loans for undergraduate courses

If you are studying an undergraduate course, you may be able to take out a loan for your tuition fees and living costs.

Loans for Home and EU students

If you have Home or EU fee status, you can apply for a loan from the UK government to cover your tuition fees for studies commencing in 2019 or 2020. You may also be able to apply for a separate Maintenance Loan to cover your living costs while studying.

Use the government's student finance calculator to estimate your student loans.

Tuition Fee Loans

If you are starting your first undergraduate course and have Home or EU fee status, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from the UK government for studies commencing in 2019 or 2020. The loan covers your tuition fees in full, so you won't have to pay any tuition costs up front.

You can apply for the loan for full-time and part-time courses whatever your household income.

Apply for the loan through your local funding body:

If you have EU fee status, you can apply through Student Finance England.

If your loan is approved, the Student Loans Company (SLC) will send payments directly to the University. They send the payments in three instalments throughout the academic year. You can find the payment dates on your award notice or by logging in to your SLC account.

Maintenance Loans

UK students

If you are a full-time UK student, you can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs during your course. You can apply for this in addition to your Tuition Fee Loan and the amount you get depends on your household income.

To receive your Maintenance Loan, you must have completed registration and been to your Attendance Confirmation session. The session takes place in the first week of the academic year. The Student Loans Company will then pay the Maintenance Loan into your bank account.

If you are a returning student, you will get the loan when you have registered for the year.

EU students

If you are an EU student, you may be able to get a loan to help with living costs. To be eligible, you have to have lived in the UK for more than five years before the first day of your first academic year. Find out how to apply from the UK government's website.

Suspending or withdrawing from your studies

The University receives payment of your Tuition Fee Loan in three instalments. These are based on set attendance points throughout the academic year. The University will only receive the proportion of tuition fees if you are attending on the relevant date.

If you withdraw from your course before the end of the first week of your course, we will not charge you any tuition fees.

Repaying your loan

The Student Loans Company has useful information about paying back your student loan.

You can also find out more about loans from the Student Room or from your local funding body.

How the UK's exit from the EU affects loans for EU students

If you are an EU student, you should read this statement from the Student Loans Company on student loans for EU nationals. The UK Government has announced that EU students entering studies in 2019 or 2020 will remain eligible for Home fees. See our information on advice for EU students regarding Brexit. No further announcement has been made by the UK Government for those entering studies in 2021.

Loans for Channel Islands or Isle of Man students

If you have Islands fee status, you cannot apply for a loan from the Student Loans Company.

Contact your local education authority to find out about your funding options if you live in:

Loans for Overseas students

If you have Overseas fee status, you cannot apply for a student loan from the UK government.

You may be able to apply for a student loan from your own government or a private funder.

If you are from the United States, you should read about funding and loans for US students studying in the UK.