Academic staff from the Department for Health discuss their research into motivation and positive health behaviour.
We produce high-quality research with a strong applied focus. We aim to contribute to the promotion of population health and wellbeing, the enhancement of functional performance at all levels, as well as to improve the quality and efficiency of the health services. We pursue this agenda with a variety of partners at local, regional, national and international levels.
Our results from the Research Excellence Framework (REF2014) reveal that ~90% of our research is world leading or internationally excellent.
We have the following research groups based in our Department:
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH)
- Physical Cultural Studies (PCS)
- Sport, Health & Exercise Science (SHES)
- Tobacco Control Research Group (TCRG)
- Work, Health & Wellbeing (WHW)
Academic staff from the Department for Health discuss their research into lifestyles and exercising.
The Centre for Pain Research (CPR) is also based in the Department, and conducts research into the technological development for the control of pain.
Our staff also work closely with a number of local and national organisations.
We also collaborate with Designability (Bath Institute of Medical Engineering) on a number of projects that enhance people’s lives.
External funders for our research activities include:
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Wellcome Trust
- UK Sport, UK Athletics
- Ministry of Defence (MOD)
- Rugby Football Union (RFU)
- International Rugby Board (IRB)
We are also funded by a range of other Government Departments, National Governing Bodies and charitable organisations.