We produce high-quality research with a strong applied focus. We aim to contribute to the promotion of population health and wellbeing, the enhancement of functional performance at all levels, as well as to improve the quality and efficiency of the health services. We pursue this agenda with a variety of partners at local, regional, national and international levels.
We have the following research groups based in our Department:
- Sport Health & Exercise Science (SHES) Group
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) Research Group
- Tobacco Control Research Group (TCRG)
- Work, Health & Wellbeing Research Group (WHW)
The Centre for Pain Research (CPR) is also based in the Department, and conducts research into the technological development for the control of pain.
External funders for our research activities include:
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Wellcome Trust
- UK Sport, UK Athletics
- Ministry of Defence (MOD)
- Rugby Football Union (RFU)
- International Rugby Board (IRB)
We are also funded by a range of other Government Departments, National Governing Bodies and charitable organisations.