Second Ideas Sandpit brings together researchers from a wide range of disciplines
Collaborative research into Sustainable Water
11 October 2011
Ideas Sandpits encourage cross-university collaboration and stimulate research proposals. Research Councils UK (RCUK) have used the same sandpit mechanism for cross-disciplinary academic events and for a number of high profile strategic partnerships with industry and HM Government Departments.
During the event, professional facilitators engaged participants in a process of collaborative ideas generation involving a number of research pitches. These evolved with real time peer review from colleagues.
- Prof Stephen Gundry (Director of the Water & Health Research Centre, University of Bristol)
- Dr Tom Arnot (Chemical Engineering, University of Bath)
- Dr Julian Dennis (Director of Compliance and Sustainability, Wessex Water)
Representatives from a diverse range of departments participated in the sandpit, from Chemistry to Social Policy.
Dr John Troyer, one of the sandpit participants from the Department of Social & Policy Sciences commented;
“The Sandpit was a fantastic opportunity to work with colleagues that I might otherwise not encounter, giving me the chance to develop multiple projects with scientists, engineers, management experts and architects.”
Proposals arising from the sandpit included:
I-SEA: to develop an integrated system to provide fresh water, minerals and energy from the sea
The Future Water Laboratory: to establish a series of thematic laboratories bringing together scientists, social scientists, policy makers, end users and industry suppliers to realise sustainable water technologies.
All of the teams are being encouraged to develop their research ideas into full proposals for which £40,000 of development funds has been allocated. All sandpit teams will receive support through this development process from academic champions and RDSO.
The research sandpit was organised and mentored by the Associate Deans for Research:
- Dr Danaë Stanton Fraser (Associate Dean Research - Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Prof Matthew Davidson – (Associate Dean Research Faculty of Science)
- Prof Julian Chaudhuri – (Associate Dean Research Faculty of Engineering)
- Prof Russ Vince – (Associate Dean Research - School of Management)
- Prof Chick Wilson (Department of Chemistry)
- Dr Tom Arnot (Department of Chemical Engineering)
- Dr Jon Hunt (RDSO)
Future Ideas Sandpits
Future sandpits are planned for February and September 2012.
Themes will be announced shortly after which those interested in attending can register their interest through the Research sandpit web pages.
For further information about the programme of sandpits, please contact Fiona Dale (Research Sandpit Coordinator) email: firstname.lastname@example.org