Complaints and appeals

If something goes wrong while you are at the University and you wish to take it further, we have complaints and appeals processes you can follow. Similarly, if we have reason to raise issues with you there are procedures that we will follow.

If you wish to appeal or complain

Appealing about academic results

If you believe there are circumstances affecting your academic results, then you may be able to appeal against the decision.

Please note that there are strict timeframes within which to make your case.  You are strongly advised to make yourself familiar with these in the above guidance - if you make your case outside the specific timescales, we will not normally be able to consider it.

Student complaints

If you think you may have reason to make a complaint then you should read the student complaints procedure. Examples of complaints dealt with under this policy include:

  • a failing in a University service - academic or non-academic
  • misinformation about academic programmes
  • poor teaching or supervision
  • insufficient facilities
  • the behaviour of a member of staff
  • the behaviour of another student

To make a complaint please download the form. If you have read the complaints procedure and require further advice, please contact student complaints.

Dignity and respect

Complaints about any form of discrimination, bullying, harassment or victimisation should be submitted under the University’s Dignity and Respect for Students and Staff policy and procedure, which is specifically designed to deal with such issues.


We have a mediation service which provides you with a means of resolving a complaint without going through the formal complaints procedure. Mediation is an informal, structured process in which an independent and impartial mediator helps people to find a resolution to a dispute or other conflict situation.

If the University raises issues with you

If you are the subject of actions brought against you by the University, there are a number of ways you can appeal against them. These include:

Academic misconduct

If you are defending an accusation of academic misconduct (an “assessment offence”), for example plagiarism, collusion or falsification of data, then you should read:

Disciplinary issues

If you have received a formal warning or other sanction under the Preliminary Disciplinary Procedure you may appeal against this to the University Secretary within 10 working days of receiving formal notification. When appealing, you should clearly set out your case against the sanction.

If you have been the subject of formal disciplinary action and received a sanction from the Vice-Chancellor or the Disciplinary Committee (except where this is a recommendation to Senate to expel you) you may appeal to the Senate Appeals Committee, the procedure for which is set out in Section 20 of the Standing Orders of Senate.

Fitness to Study

If you have received a sanction under Stage 3 of the Fitness to Study Policy (Appendix 2 of the Students Regulations) you may appeal to the Senate Appeals Committee (except where this is a recommendation to Senate to expel you from the University). The procedure to appeal against such a sanction is set out in Section 20 of the Standing Orders of Senate.

Fitness to Practise

If under the Fitness to Practise Policy you have received a warning or other sanction (other than a recommendation for suspension, exclusion or expulsion) you may appeal to the Fitness to Practise Appeals Panel. Appeals should be submitted to the University Secretary within 14 days of being notified of the right of appeal.

Expulsion from the University

If you have been expelled from the University following a decision by Senate, you may appeal to the Council Appeals Committee, the procedure for which is set out in Section 20 of the Standing Orders of Council.

Non-payment of fees

Under University Regulation 2.4 the University may require you to withdraw from the University if you fail to pay your fees. Under that same Regulation, you may seek readmission to the University by writing to the Vice-Chancellor. In such cases, readmission is not normally approved until all fee arrears have been settled. You are encouraged to contact the Student Finance Office to agree payment arrangements. Contact, or telephone +44 (0) 1225 383045.

Further sources of support

The Students’ Union Advice & Support Service can provide advice and representation on a range of issues, including those relating to academic appeals, student complaints, academic misconduct and disciplinary matters, to members of the University of Bath Student Union.

If you are a licensed student, you should contact your College Students' Union/Student Services.

Student Services can also provide advice and support on a variety of issues affecting students, including health, disability, money matters, immigration, anxiety/depression and spiritual issues.