To help you get the most out of your studies at Bath, and prepare you for your future after university, the Skills Centre offers a range of year-round skills development opportunities. These are designed to complement and fit flexibly around your course.
During Semester 1 2021-22, you can access the following:
- Skills enrichment classes on Discussion Skills and Presentation Skills and one-off academic writing sessions to develop different aspects of academic writing, from week 2. Skills Co-Creator Mackyla introduces the skills enrichment opportunities in this video.
- 1-1 writing tutorials to help you develop effective, independent writing skills and get constructive feedback on your work, in-person in the Skills Zone (6E2.8) and online, from week 4. Find out about students’ experiences of the tutorials in this blog.
- Recommended e-learning modules on academic writing, study skills and other topics which you can access in your own time. The Macmillan ‘Skills for Study’ modules are designed to help you become an ethical scholar and prepare you for the University’s mandatory Academic Integrity Test.
Maths and statistics
- Maths and statistics drop-ins every day in-person in the Skills Zone, from week 1, during which you can ask a specialist tutor any maths or statistics questions you may have. This video introduces the Mathematics Resources Centre (MASH).
- Workshops for first year students who needed to study maths to get a place on their course or for first year maths students taking MA1 units from the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- Specialist statistics appointments for students doing project work, from week 1.
Languages and British Studies
- English language 10-week course, online from week 2, for all students who use English as a second language. The course will develop your English vocabulary and grammar and your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills. Note, registration closes 4 October.
- Foreign language courses in eight languages at different levels, online from week 2. This video explains how the classes run online and you can find out student experiences’ of the Mandarin Chinese and Japanese courses on our blog.
- British Studies 11-week courses, online from week 1, for visiting and exchange students to help you develop a deeper understanding of British culture, history and society.
- Self-access resources to help you explore and develop your digital capabilities and confidently use the range of online tools for your learning, teaching and assessment at Bath. Student Skills Co-Creators have shared their experiences of developing their digital skills in these blogs.
Academic & Employability Skills blog
The Academic & Employability Skills blog offers useful tips and guidance from expert staff and student ambassadors on a wide range of skills topics. You can subscribe to the blog to receive the latest posts by email.
Keep up-to-date with skills
Follow @BathSkills on Twitter for all the latest Skills Centre updates.