Studying modern languages at Bath: students and staff give their opinions
Undergraduate modern languages students and staff talk about what studying at Bath is like, the language options available, and where our degrees can take you.
Our Modern Languages course gives you the chance to improve your language skills and develop your confidence. You'll be able to immerse yourself in the culture of another country that primarily uses your chosen languages as part of your degree.
You can spend your time in another country in a variety of different ways:
- studying at one of our partner universities
- as a language assistant in a school
- doing a professional placement
- a combination of two of these options
This time abroad is a great way to improve your language skills. Many students gain important life experience and independence, and increase their professional networks.
You'll be able to choose from a number of language pathways. You can select two advanced languages you've studied at A-level (or equivalent) or combine one with a language at beginners' (ab initio) level.
You can study this course in these languages:
- French and ab initio German
- French and ab initio Italian
- French and ab initio Mandarin
- French and ab initio Russian
- French and ab initio Spanish
- French and German
- French and Spanish
- German and ab initio French
- German and ab initio Italian
- German and ab initio Mandarin
- German and ab initio Russian
- German and ab initio Spanish
- German and Spanish
- Spanish and ab initio French
- Spanish and ab initio German
- Spanish and ab initio Italian
- Spanish and ab initio Mandarin
- Spanish and ab initio Russian
Bath is the 2nd safest university town or city in England and Wales (The Complete University Guide (2023)) and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, thanks to its Roman heritage and Georgian architecture.
But there’s much more to Bath than its iconic buildings and history. A vibrant range of shops, bars and restaurants, music venues, museums, and festivals makes it a great place to live as a student.
A well-connected campus
Our campus is on the edge of the city. You can travel between the city and the campus easily by foot, bike, car, or bus. Local transport links mean you’ll be:
- 80 minutes from London
- 15 minutes from Bristol
- 2 hours from Birmingham
- Our BA (Hons) Modern Languages course was previously known as BA (Hons) Modern Languages and European Studies.