Skip to main content

Support for doctoral students

Doing a research degree is a significant undertaking and can be challenging. Find out how you can access advice and support relevant to your needs.

Sources of support for additional challenges due to Coronavirus

Smart students seek support early

The importance of seeking support when you need it.

Doing a doctorate is a significant undertaking and you may find yourself having highs and lows along the way. Many of you will have additional responsibilities outside of your doctorate and will be juggling many competing demands.

As a University we are committed to supporting you throughout your studies and want to make sure you have access to the right type of support when you need it.

You can also refer to this Doctoral College Student Support leaflet for sources of advice and support and the contacts you’ll need. It covers Health and Wellbeing, Accommodation, Complaints and Appeals, the Disability Service, Funding and Money Advice, Skills, and Immigration and Visas. You can download a copy to save for future reference.

Be Well, Talk Now

Student Services have launched a new support service called Be Well, Talk Now to provide flexible wellbeing support in addition to their existing on-campus services.

Talk Now is a confidential service that gives immediate advice and support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. You can contact an adviser by phone, video call or live chat from anywhere in the world, who will be able to support you with any problems you may be facing. This service has been developed in response to student requests for greater out-of-hours support, support in multiple languages and support from trained advisors from diverse backgrounds.

You may find this service particularly useful if you:

  • are off campus
  • find it challenging to access support during working hours
  • are conducting research anywhere in the world
  • are studying at one of our doctoral training partners

Progression through your doctorate

During your study you may encounter challenges with your academic progress or face a change of circumstances. If you are not receiving the academic advice or support that you need, please raise this straight away with your supervisors or, if this is not possible, with your Director of Studies.

Our Doctoral College team has dedicated support staff for each department and doctoral training entity. They can provide advice about progression through your doctorate, including how issues such as changes of circumstances may impact on your studies and the guidance and forms you will need.

The SU Advice & Support Centre also have professional advisors who can support you with any academic problems.

Doctoral Handbook

Independent Advice

Sometimes you might want to seek independent, confidential advice.

If you encounter a problem which cannot be resolved at department or School level, or where you feel this route would be inappropriate or inadvisable, you can seek independent advice from The University Independent Advisor for Postgraduate Research Students, Marcelle McManus, can be contacted for confidential consultations.

The SU Advice and Support Centre also offers independent advice and support on a range of topics affecting your study and your welfare, including academic matters and personal issues including housing, stress and harassment.

The Chaplaincy offers counsel and advice to both staff and students of all faiths and no faiths.


If you have an academic problem such as an issue with your supervisor, or need advice on an emotional or practical issue, you can talk to a Wellbeing Adviser.

Student Services' Counselling and Mental Health team offers counselling sessions, groups, workshops and one to one sessions specifically for postgraduate students. If you are feeling stressed, anxious or depressed, counsellors can give you space to explore challenges you are facing and help you to find solutions that work for you. They can also support and complement your access to NHS services if you have a long-term mental health condition.

The SU Advice & Support Centre also has professional advisors who can offer confidential, independent and non-judgemental information, advice and support.

Find out more about counselling and mental health
Wellbeing Advisors

Disability Service

Find information, advice and support if you have a disability.

If you need advice or support around a disability, health condition or specific learning difficulty please contact the disability service for an appointment. You can phone, email or visit their Helpdesk.

Reporting harassment, assault and misconduct

Our University expects all students and staff members to treat each other with dignity and respect. However, we recognise that sometimes you may encounter an uncomfortable situation.

All staff, students, and visitors can report discrimination, misconduct, harassment or assault by using the 'Report and Support' tool.

Find out how to use the Report and Support tool
#NeverOk Logo

Support for international students

Additional support for international students.

Funding and money advice

There are a range of funding opportunities available to you during your doctorate, such as training grants and travel bursaries. This includes The University of Bath Hardship Fund (UBHF), a discretionary fund, provided to students who find themselves in financial difficulty.

If you have any questions about the funding arrangements for your doctorate, please contact the Finance Office Studentships (FOS) team.

Student Money Advice can help you with budgeting and information about funding support. They can also advise if you need a break from your studies or are considering leaving.

Find out what else the Student Money Advice team can offer
A student having an appointment with Student Services

Contact us

If you have any questions, please contact us.