We’re looking for nominations for students and staff within the doctoral community who deserve to be recognised. These awards are about saying thank you to others, or getting formally recognised for things you may have done yourself. The nominations are a great way for us as a University to find out about some of the amazing things our students and staff have been up to.
There are two award categories - one for students and one for staff.
Find out more about previous winners of this award.
Doctoral Recognition Award - Student Award
The Student Award aims to recognise our exceptional doctoral student community. We welcome a range of different nominations, but they must meet one of the following criteria:
Engaged students who have made an excellent contribution to the doctoral student experience. This could include, but not limited to:
- leading projects to improve current doctoral provision
- taking a lead on community building activities
- undertaking multiple roles within the university, showing commitment to the university
Students who have shown excellence in their research and research practices. This could include, but not limited to:
- adopting and advocating for open research practices
- enhancing the reputation of the university through external networks (e.g. presenting at key conferences, working collaboratively with others)
- getting published, undertaken excellent work experience, or working with partners.
Doctoral Recognition Award - Staff Award
The Staff Award aims to recognise members of staff who have shown a strong commitment to their approach to developing and supporting doctoral students, as well as those who have contributed to improving and enhancing the doctoral student experience.
We welcome a range of different nominations, but they must meet one of the following criteria:
Staff members who have shown a strong commitment to their approach to developing and supporting doctoral students. This could include, but not limited to:
- The support supervisors and supervisory teams have given to their students
- Academic and support staff supporting students in various roles, e.g. postgraduate teachers, doctoral reps, peer mentors.
Staff members who have contributed to improving and enhancing the doctoral student experience. This could include, but not limited to:
- Directors of Studies piloting new initiatives to improve research culture within the PGR community.
- Support staff who have advocated for doctoral students and have offered enhanced doctoral provision.
The nominated student or group of students must be registered on a doctoral programme at the University of Bath, graduating no earlier than July 2024.
You can nominate any staff member or team who supports doctoral students in any capacity. They must be on either a permanent or a fixed-term contract until at least July 2024. Staff members could include (but not limited to) academic staff, supervisors, support staff, librarians, technical staff etc.
As these awards are organised by the Doctoral College, any nominations for Doctoral College staff will be reviewed by an independent panel.
How to nominate yourself/someone else
We’ve made it really easy for you to nominate - it is just a short nomination form of no more than 250 words. We welcome nominations for others, as well as self-nominations.
Nominations open on Monday 5 February 2024 and will close on Sunday 17 March 2024.
There's no limit on the number of nominations you can submit. For example, you can submit your own nomination and then submit multiple nominations for others.
What happens when nominations close?
Once you've submitted your nomination, and the nomination period closes, each application will be reviewed by members of the Doctoral College Recognition Awards Committee.
Nominees will be informed by May 2024 if they have been recognised. Award recipients will be invited to attend the Doctoral Research Celebration Evening on Thursday 13 June 2024 6pm - 10pm at Komedia, Bath City Centre.