The year abroad in the third year will immerse you in your chosen language and culture.
You'll have the opportunity to live and work or study abroad, perfecting your language in a country where it is spoken.
This might seem a bit overwhelming now, but our dedicated Placements team is there to help you every step of the way. Have a look at our Placement blogs to see how past students enjoyed the experience.Discover more about the year abroad
There is a broad selection of courses and units to choose from. At Bath, you can study one or two modern languages. Depending on your choice of course, we offer French, German or Spanish at advanced-level, and French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Russian or Spanish at beginner-level. Our languages courses include:
- BA (Hons) Modern Languages
- BA (Hons) International Politics and Modern Languages
- BSc (Hons) International Management and Modern Languages
Our degrees are designed to give you the skills to open up a wide range of careers. Our students' success is reflected in our rankings:
- Joint 5th for Career after 15 months in Modern Languages in The Guardian University Guide 2021
- Top ten for Graduate Prospects in French, German, Iberian Languages and Italian in The Complete University Guide 2021
- Top ten for Graduate Prospects in French and Italian in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
Be part of a diverse community in a great location.
The University of Bath campus is situated just on the edge of what is affectionately known as one of the most beautiful and one of the safest cities in the UK. As a student, you could be living here, surrounded by beautiful Georgian buildings and Roman history. There is a thriving café culture with plenty of restaurants, a great range of shops, music venues, museums, and a huge number of festivals planned throughout the year.
Most of the key locations are in walking distance of the centre or if you want to travel further afield, there are easy transport links to Bristol or London.