Why study languages at Bath?
There are lots of reasons to study at Bath. Here are our top picks.
Because you want to go beyond a language
See what inspires and drives our students as they explore the cultures of their chosen languages.
Exciting time abroad
Studying or working abroad in your third year will immerse you in your chosen language and culture.
You'll have the opportunity to live and work or study abroad, perfecting your language in a country where it is spoken.
This might seem a bit overwhelming now, but our dedicated Placements team is there to help you every step of the way. Have a look at our Placement blogs to see how past students enjoyed the experience.Discover more about studying or working abroad
Great choice of course combinations and optional units
There is a broad selection of courses and units to choose from. At Bath, you can study one or two modern languages. Depending on your choice of course, we offer French, German or Spanish at advanced-level, and French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Russian or Spanish at beginner-level. Our languages courses include:
- BA (Hons) Modern Languages
- BA (Hons) International Politics and Modern Languages
- BSc (Hons) International Management and Modern Languages
Excellent job prospects
Our degrees are designed to give you the skills to open up a wide range of careers. Our students' success is reflected in our rankings:
- 1st for Graduate Prospects for Russian and East European Languages in the Complete University Guide 2023
- 1st for Graduate Prospects for French in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
- 2nd for Graduate Prospects for German in the Complete University Guide 2023
- 2nd for Graduate Prospects for Italian in the Complete University Guide 2023
Great Student experience
Be part of a diverse community in a great location.
The University's campus is situated just on the edge of what is affectionately known as one of the most beautiful cities in the UK. Bath is also the 2nd safest university town or city in England and Wales.
As a student, you could be living here, surrounded by beautiful Georgian buildings and Roman history. There is a thriving café culture with plenty of restaurants, a great range of shops, music venues, museums, and a huge number of festivals planned throughout the year.
Most of the key locations are in walking distance of the centre or if you want to travel further afield, there are easy transport links to Bristol or London.